Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is slipping out of gear (2nd, 3rd or 4th) under high revs. This is uncharted territory for me. Any clues as to what this might mean?

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it is slipping out of all gears, or more than one, it may mean that it is not actually going into gear in the first place. Higher revs=more vibration and it plops back into a false neutral. It may be end play on a shaft or a worn piece in the shifting mechanism. Try this for fun. Take it out on the road. When you shift int 2nd, hold the lever as high up as it will go for a few moments longer than you normally would. Then let the clutch out still holding the lever up a little longer than normall. Then let the shifter down slowly. Do this in all gears. I would recommend Clymers manual and joining a local Brit club. Together, with the members input, you can have fun troubleshooting this and other gremlins.Plus a good source for good used parts and a extra hand. Let me know if the bike stays in gear using the method I just described. If it does great, but I would look into the cause before the next riding season.I had a fourth gear that would do that and that is how I had to shift it before rebuild. The rebuild is not that big of a deal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts