Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im currently rebuilding a 72 tr6 got everything together to find out that the clutch is stuck and when i tried to get the bike into 1st transmission fluid poured out of the bottom of the casing on the motor. Any ideas for what might be causing this to happen? Do you think the transmission needs to be rebuilt?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has to be the gear oil and it is leaking from the bottom of the case I'm thinking it might be a gasket but I'm fearing for the worst because when you pull the clutch it will not let the bike engage into first. At first i thought it was because the motor and trans have been sitting so long without any oil in them. The bike was in storage for over 10 years.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
that still doesn't make sense.

Your gear oil shouldn't have access to the clutch - it should stay in the gearbox and it;'s a very thick oil.

The clutch should have (maybe) engine oil in it but noyt a lot.

have you taken off the primary chain cover?

·
Registered
33 Posts
As far as your clutch being "stuck".... I have found that when they sit for that long that sometimes the clutch steel plates and friction plates tend to stick together thus not allowing the clutch to disengage. Only way to fix that is to disassemble the clutch and pull the plates apart. Then coat them with oil and reassemble. I have tried reassembling them dry only to have them stick again.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yep, plates will tend to stick. Soaking them over night in tranny fluid
then wiping them completly dry is is a much better idea than oil.

Is the Bike upright or on the side stand? I seem to recall Triumph doing
something dumb with the countershaft seal, right around that year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bike is on its side stand. it held the gear oil for about 3 days but when i tried to pop the clutch and get the bike into first after it was sitting for 3 days with gear oil in the tranny all the oil came out of the bottom of the casing. This is the first time i am working on a british bike so this is all strange to me.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ok, to be clear.
You say your rebuilding. [What] exactly have you done so far?
Is/was it running before do did anything?
Is the drain/level plug back in? It's 2 parts. Drain and oil level.
Do you have Parts and workshop manuals?

If you have a center stand use it. Or a block under the side stand.
If this stops it leaking. The culprit is the countershaft seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts