Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am pretty excited as I hone in on a purchase of a new '09 Bonneville T-100 and would appreciate some advice from those that have trailered their Bonny. Pics would help as well if you have them.

I am asking what the best tie down strategy is that won't scratch the bike?

My thoughts are:
1. secure the front wheel...maybe with two 2X4's screwed to the wood floor of the trailer with drywall screws a tire width apart with front tire up against the front wall of the trailer.

2. Tie the handlebars to each side of the trailer. Best method?

3. Not sure the best place to secure the rear of the bike...any suggestions?...is wrapping through the spokes of the rear wheel sufficent and then securing to the opposite side of the trailer?

I only need to transport the bike 20 miles or so...as I can't ride because too cold and snowy.

Thanks in advance,
George
Hoping for an early spring :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I trailered my 80 kms without a problem

My 6 x 4 trailer is setup with front wheel channels & tiedown points, I used 2 tiedowns with soft straps onto the handelbars, then I used another 2 tiedowns onto the bars but out further on the trailer.

I then used a tiedown either side to the rear peg mount, the bike was solid as a rock & no damage at all.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Refering to your previous thread, it looks like the Bonneville won out over the HD. Good choice IMNSHO. Sounds like you have an actual bike picked out?

I can't add to the trailer discussion other than to say there are a lot of metal tube type front wheel holders out there that bolt to the trailer floor and seem pretty popular. Then again, I don't see why the 2X4s wouldn't work either. I will stay tuned for other comments.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You don't want to run the straps thru the rear spokes. When trailering a bike you need to compress the suspensions. Terry K has it right. The front wheel doesn't have to be chocked if the bike is strapped down to a non-skid surface.
I'm wondering why the dealer your purchasing it from doesn't trailer it to your home if it's only 20 miles. Tell the tight-wad's to deliver it if they want your business.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Refering to your previous thread, it looks like the Bonneville won out over the HD. Good choice IMNSHO. Sounds like you have an actual bike picked out?

I can't add to the trailer discussion other than to say there are a lot of metal tube type front wheel holders out there that bolt to the trailer floor and seem pretty popular. Then again, I don't see why the 2X4s wouldn't work either. I will stay tuned for other comments.
Thanks Terry. Sounds like tying to the mid foot peg mounts maybe the best strategy for securing the rear? Appreciate your comments.

Easy...thanks for your comments. I regret the tenor of the Bonny versus Harley thread. I have been leaning toward a Bonny all along even though some pegged me as a Harley sheep herder ;) My biggest issue is I like all kinds of motorbikes including Ducatis and Aprilias. I have done the cruiser thing and I am more about a lighter standard riding position and am excited about the new bike.
Thanks again,
George

·
Registered
716 Posts
Congratulations on the new TRIUMPH

Hey congratulations on your new Triumph. Since I can't see what type of trailer you are loading it onto I'll describe a typical pickup truck tie down. Get some "bar saver" straps from a motorcycle shop and bike tydowns when the front wheel is up against the solid front of the truckbed then put the tie straps on each side of the handle bars that don't hit anypaint or breakable items then secure to trailer sides. When sinched down put a wrap in the loose end of the strap so it can not come loose while driving...The footpegs will work for a rear anchor point but rear straps really not needed since the bike usually stays in place but if rear straps helps your peace of mind use rear straps as well.
About the previous HD or Triumph thread...
Now that you got your Triumph there will be peace at Ratnet...LOL...that other tread took on a life of it's own...which reminds me of the knuckle head Rodney King who once said during the riots..."Can't we all get along"? Have fun and ride like your invisible...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey congratulations on your new Triumph. Since I can't see what type of trailer you are loading it onto I'll describe a typical pickup truck tie down. Get some "bar saver" straps from a motorcycle shop and bike tydowns when the front wheel is up against the solid front of the truckbed then put the tie straps on each side of the handle bars that don't hit anypaint or breakable items then secure to trailer sides. When sinched down put a wrap in the loose end of the strap so it can not come loose while driving...The footpegs will work for a rear anchor point but rear straps really not needed since the bike usually stays in place but if rear straps helps your peace of mind use rear straps as well.
About the previous HD or Triumph thread...
Now that you got your Triumph there will be peace at Ratnet...LOL...that other tread took on a life of it's own...which reminds me of the knuckle head Rodney King who once said during the riots..."Can't we all get along"? Have fun and ride like your invisible...
Thank you OC. Again...my apology about the Bonny Harley thread and no need to unearth that whole mess. :eek:

My dilemma and perhaps you can help is with respect to restraining the front wheel which I presume you don't want to twist but maybe this is not an issue if restraining the handlebar ends.

U-haul in my area does not offer a dedicated motorcycle trailer nor a front wheel chuck however do rent steel floored, 5' X 8' enclosed trailers with a ramp. My concern is restraining the front wheel. The front tire would be pushed up against the front of the inside of the trailer and the handlebar bar ends tied to the side walls of the trailer...and perhaps good enough for front wheel restraint. I have also heard that the rear does not need to be restrained as you mention.
I may still opt for rear restraint for peace of mind as you say.

Please let me know if I need a front wheel chuck if pushing the Bonny up to the front wall and tying down the handlebar ends.

Thanks,
George

·
29,945 Posts
I've had to transport my bike in the back of the truck a couple of times. First time 'cos nobody would give me a ride to the dealer and I wasn't trading in, second time 'cos I was taking my truck to the body work shop after a crash and I needed a way to get about.

Piccie

Basically the front wheel is shoved against the end of the bed. One strap either side on the handlebar clamps, compress the front suspension so it can't bounce loose.

Strap either side on the rear footpeg hangers - the main frame might be better.

Don't overtension the straps - you don't want to bend anything.

I have sometimes gone around the wheel rim (NOT the spokes) to stop the wheel sliding out.

Basically, what you do one side, you do the other side to counteract it.

A couple of boards, one either side of the wheel gives piece of mind to stop the wheel sliding out. You don't really need them though. I used the natural ridges in the truck bed.

Check to make sure all strap buckles are not going to vibrate against anything and scratch it. Same with straps.

That's about it.

Well done on your correct decision, and we look forward to seeing piccies of the bike!

EDIT: I've driven about 50 miles in the above photo, no probs at all.

FURTHER EDIT: I transported my ZX1100 the same way a few times, and that's a lot heavier bike. No probs with that either. Go get 'er man! Have fun!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Strongly recommend a front wheel chock. The bikewill stand alone in most chocks thus making it an easier one man operation to secure the bike. I 've used rental trailers in the past and installed a chock then removed the chock prior to returning the trailer. The chock is also a handy item to have at home to hold the bike in an upright position when washing and waxing or doing maint. on the left side. It's one of those things you need to own to undersand how handy it really is.

Harbor Freight has an OK chock, that works, at a reasonable price. Condor makes a great chock but it's way more spendy but worth the price.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot guys. I do agree chocking the front wheel is the best approach. I will not have one by Saturday however so will have to figure out an alternate strategy. I may have to ride in the trailer for the twenty mile trip to make sure nothing happens :)

The other challenge is how to connect the tie downs to the front fork as shown in the pic. Thanks for the pic. Seems as though the strap would rub on adjacent parts...maybe I need to pad the strap with microfiber to prevent any marring.

Below is a close up of a Bonny without risers.
Please keep the comments coming.
Thanks,
George

Attachments

·
29,945 Posts
biker7, if the straps are tight they don't ten to rub, but padding underneath them is a sensible and smart precaution. A 2X4 either side of the front wheel, clamped or screwed to the trailer, makes a nice wheel chock. One across the front for the wheel to butt up against is extra piece of mind. Going over the top with strapping and chocking is OK for your new baby. Better safe than sorry and all that. In my solution in the back of the truck, the bed acts as a natural wheel chock.

Nice Bike!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
biker7, if the straps are tight they don't ten to rub, but padding underneath them is a sensible and smart precaution. A 2X4 either side of the front wheel, clamped or screwed to the trailer, makes a nice wheel chock. One across the front for the wheel to butt up against is extra piece of mind. Going over the top with strapping and chocking is OK for your new baby. Better safe than sorry and all that. In my solution in the back of the truck, the bed acts as a natural wheel chock.

Nice Bike!
Thanks Prop.
I wish the floor of the U-haul trailers were wood...then it would be easy to screw some 2 X 4's into the floor to stabilize the front wheel but unfortunately, the floors of the U-haul trailers are steel.
I still maybe able to rig up a 2 X 4 platform...will bring some scrap wood, dry wall screws and power driver to see if I can keep the front wheel from laterally sliding.
I will post some pics of the bike when I get it home. I have wanted a Bonneville for some time now and am excited about it.
Thanks again,
George

·
Registered
519 Posts
Trailering

Things might have changed from 2006, but I rented a U-Haul trailer, enclosed, to trailer home my Bonnie T100 from Toledo to Youngstown, Ohio.....around 150 miles without any problems. You are right about them not having good tye down points, but they have some at the base of the trailer and on the sides is some wood. Get some tye down rachet staps and feed them trough the holes in the trailer and around the frame of the bike. If you rachet it down tight enough to compress the shocks an inch or two, you'll see that the bike ain't going no where. I used 4 straps, 2 up front and two in the back. Have some extra stuff with you just in case and stop every so often to ease your mind. I bet you'll be fine....Good Luck.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Try using 'soft ties' around the front fork between the triples. The "soft ties" are placed around the upper legs then the he hooks on the tie downs attach to the 'soft tie' loops. Many motorcycle sell them. Take a look here:

http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=6896

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for all your advice and well wishes.
A couple of months away from actual riding but hope springs eternal with a new Bonny. :)
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
Try using 'soft ties' around the front fork between the triples. The "soft ties" are placed around the upper legs then the he hooks on the tie downs attach to the 'soft tie' loops. Many motorcycle sell them. Take a look here:

http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=6896
Great idea Road. I got a set of identical "soft ties" with the hold down kit for my kayaks. I probably wouldn't have thought to use them with the bike. Duh!

B7. Again, congrats on the Bonnie. How about some more details? Colour? T100? New, used?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I am waiting for the snow to melt here in S. Ontario to pick up my new T100 (black and white)... but I too might just break down and trailer it home.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great idea Road. I got a set of identical "soft ties" with the hold down kit for my kayaks. I probably wouldn't have thought to use them with the bike. Duh!

B7. Again, congrats on the Bonnie. How about some more details? Colour? T100? New, used?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I am waiting for the snow to melt here in S. Ontario to pick up my new T100 (black and white)... but I too might just break down and trailer it home.
We have similar taste...black and white and '09 T-100..new. :)
Lots of very nice low miles Bonnies out there but wanted to sample the EFI bike and get a blank canvas for imminent changes :cool:
Yes, I am breaking down and trailering it home :)
Will post pics when I pick it up.
Best to you Easy with yours as well. We will have to compare notes.
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One's a piece of cake...this is when things get interesting:eek:
Fantastic...you are my kind of junkie. A fellow roadie also. Didn't think I was the only one. ScooterJ, do you have a fixture for the front wheels of your two bikes or just tie them up?

Road biking is my true passion honestly...below is a pic of mine...Look 555 carbon fiber with Campagnolo gruppo...installed the new '09 shifters with FSA compact wing bar over Christmas and what a great combo. Waiting for the snow to melt to do miles on both bikes :)
Thanks for the pic SJ.
Ride safe,
George
Btw...I see you have a long head tube on your road bike. You much over 6' tall? Made any changes to the foot peg position on your Bonny?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts