Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new enclosed trailer that I’m getting ready to prepare for hauling two bikes and would like to know what you guy prefer to use for the tie downs.

Is anyone using the E-Track rails in theirs and do you like them? Or are the old style D-rings a better way to go?

·
Super Moderator
13,586 Posts
I've got a 6x12 box that I laid 3 e-tracks down on the floor (one each side and one in the middle) and one along each side. I can get 4 big bikes in there, at an angle, and still stuff in a full pit setup including 10x20 ez-up, 2 big rubbermaid tubs, spare tire, generator, starter rollers on a dolly, ice chest, a couple of suitcases, camping gear and miscellaneous boxes, without even stacking stuff on top of the bikes. Best purchase I ever made. I also sleep in it after unloading bikes in the pit.

Alternatively, at rallies where I do hospitality, I can load up 1 bike, ez-up, a couple of tables, all the tubs full of coffee gear and 2 42-cup pots, cups & paper products, fixings for iced tea & lemonade, (3) 5-gallon drink dispensers, camping gear and miscellaneous stuff, and still leave room for 1 other bike in case a rider has a situation requiring bike transport from the rally.

I bought 16 clips (4 per bike), and find I could use a half dozen more if I'm fully loaded with 4 bikes as in the top paragraph...

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Paul. Did those E-tracks come from Harbor Freight? Your wheel chocks look just like theirs also.

Did you just screw the tracks to the floor or did you bolt them all the way thru?
Steve

·
Super Moderator
13,586 Posts
I screwed the tracks to the floor with LOTS of long screws through the 3/4" plywood deck. The chocks have slip-joint slotted discs bolted to the floor, so they all pop out in seconds. The tracks along the sidewalls are screwed in with heavy sheet metal screws into the inner framework of the trailer (box section metal tube construction).

The stuff was all ordered from a trailer supply place (cheapest on e-bay), including spare tire and pair of scissor jacks so I can stabilize the unhooked trailer in the pits or campsite.

By the way, I bought the pace trailer at home Depot. Cheapest deal in all of Laredo and a few places in San Antonio at the time (2008).

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
If it were my trailer, I would thru-bolt everything with backing plates to spread out the load for anything mounted to the floor. Sheet metal and wood screws will pull out with a shock force. Think how many pounds of force are applied when you have a 400+ lb bike stopping abruptly in a trailer or worse, hit from the side by another vehicle. I'd also check to see if the walls are really meant to hold heavy loads. I suspect they are light structure to just support the skin in many cases. Okay for holding big tupperware tubs maybe if they are not full of engines, but I would not strap a bike to them. They are not built like U-Haul trailers unless you buy them built that way.

I once shipped a BMW K-bike in a container and left the side stand down (my bad). When it arrived, the container had been set down hard in transit and it sheared the side stand lug off the frame.

You only have to do it once so why not do it right. Use angle iron as backing plate so you don't need to buy thick plate. One piece of angle can back up more than one bolt if they run in a line. Use good bolts, lockwashers and Loctite too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

regards,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
13,586 Posts
I don't strap the bikes to the side walls, the side rails are for strapping support on tall stuff like the ez-up and dolly with roller starter.

As far as any of the screws pulling out of the floor, you are probably right, but that's just me. Probably 50,000 miles with almost always 4 bikes at a time, and not a single screw has worked partway loose yet.

Good thing it's not brain surgery (balance of this comment on the torque wrench thread)

·
Super Moderator
13,586 Posts
Hey, I don't know if your town has an annual celebration like ours does, the Washington's Birthday celebration has been going on here for over 100 years. Anyway, the celebration presentation and ball involves young ladies in VERY expensive ($20K and up) dresses that are worn only twice. The dresses have huge petticoats and measure about 6' in diameter, so I suppose I could rent out my services to transport one or two of the participants, THEN the side rails might come into play. Don't laugh, one of the local moving companies makes a healthy little bonus moving 4 of the ladies at a time in a full-size 50' moving van; I aim to cut in on some of that action...

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
And I truly hope those screws stay put forever, Paul.

Gotta love the belle of the ball transport idea. You are gonna have to scrub down that trailer really well or line the walls and floors with white paper. I can only imagine the waterfall of tears should one of your belles sashe into the ball with a big glob of grease on the back of her gown.

While on this subject, for those who might rent a U-Haul trailer to transport a bike, don't trust the D-rings installed in those trailers. The rings are not welded. I rented a closed trailer to bring my BSA home this winter and did not realize the rings were just bent and not welded until I started to load the bike. One ring was missing at the back and it make me look at the others. Seam was visible on all the rings. I drove like Granny all the way home and gave everyone plenty of room when in traffic to avoid sudden stops. I did have my portable wheel chock in the trailer as well.

My friend said he rented one and installed his own hold downs by thru bolting thru the U-Haul Floor. I understood why when I saw what they have in those trailers.

regards,
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts