1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's been all over Sky news since it happened last night, terrible thing to have happened, so close to xmas as well.
There are going to be some devastated families out there today and my heart goes out to them all.

G.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Wow. Fog was present. Reminds me of those nasty I-5 pileups in CA. terrible to be caught up in that.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:( I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I've lost count of the times where a car has sped past me, in thick fog, apparently driven by a superhuman with X-ray vision. Tragic.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
If I absolutely have to drive in fog, I drive with my window down (to listen for collisions and screeching tires) and stay in the slow lane, where it seems to me there are fewer drivers who might think their fog lights and ABS breaks are enough to avoid danger. This is not just speculation, as I've known and ridden with several people who put too much faith in these accessories. I used to live in Southern California, which has some of the thickest fog I've ever seen, and it used to scare the living crap out of me to be driving along and run into fog, and to see people going way too fast—usually in the fast lane. I get off the road as fast as I can and either try to get around it or take a slower alternate route.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That's pretty terrible. There's a stretch of I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, LA that's notorious for heavy fog over the basin sometimes and people seem to think 80 MPH in heavy fog is no big deal...even shortly after a pile up which happens from time to time. Yet, they keep on rolling, oblivious to the danger. It's really sad what happened in England. My vehicle is equipped with fog lights and ABS as well, but I still observe caution and try to be alert to changing conditions. That's a good idea to travel with the window(s) down to listen for heavy braking ahead or worst, a crash. What astounds me even more is that many times I'll see people traveling through moderate to heavy fog with no lights on at all!!!! WTH!! Not only are they reducing their visibility of the road, but it makes it quite difficult to spot them until they're right on you! I will never ride in the fog if I can help it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Latest news suggests it may have been a bonfire close to the motorway - local sports club held a bonfire party around the time it happened, and witnesses talk of clear conditions and then suddenly zero visibility for ~200 yards. Also recent heavy rain and a lot of surface water on the road. The forensics on this one are going to take a long time. Even 24hrs after the event, they are still not certain of the number of fatalities. That tells a story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts