Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No damage and never dropped in 18 years until...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle handlebar Motorcycle Vehicle

Someone hit it whilst parked and fully covered in a hi vis cover and in full daylight! He's driven off and hasn't come forward.

Some considerate neighbours stood it up so that a car never went over it.

A big selling point of a Bonneville for me was the lack of plastic because this same scenario happened to a Transalp I had, which wrote the bike off.

This bike was hit, had fallen on it's right side and was then pushed nearly a couple of feet resting on the right end can, rear brake pedal and right bar end with the steering lock on (which is still functional).

I just need to replace the rear registration plate, straighten the front brake lever and sort the broken tail/ brake light so far.

Tough bikes!

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
That's discouraging, but kind of predictable. Stuff on the street gets banged into every now and then. Isn't there some way you can get it off the street for long term parking? Sorry for your trouble. :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
That sucks, glad the damage isn’t more substantial. If we’re going to make some lemonade out of this, looks like a perfect time for a tail tidy, slip-ons, heated grips and some sweet aftermarket levers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks George, I commute daily on it and don't have a driveway yet, so parking on the street is my most convenient option. A neighbour has offered use of their driveway, so I may take them up on that.

Mark, heated grips and new throttle cables are getting done soon with the opportunity. I might tail tidy if I can find one which fits the existing wiring with the least amount of work.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,315 Posts
My first thought was "ouch," but you're right - could have been much worse. These are well - made bikes!

Some people are so oblivious...

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
595 Posts
Anyone around with cctv or had something ordered that day? Deliverouch! Bastards
It's illegal to cover the street with CCTV, may only look over property of camera owner. Obviously, police would ignore that if, say, someone was attacked. Otherwise, not necessarily wise of someone to offer up any footage.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Just curious, why do you think it was a "van" that hit your bike?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That Sucks...All things considered the damage is not terrible. The worst part of your damage is the rear fender. Unfortunately, if you send this through insurance...its likely totaled. What are the odds of Triumph having a blue 2003 fender on hand? If this is the second time a parked bike of yours gets ran over...You might consider changing where and how you park.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No CCTV sadly and George, it was seen to be a van by someone but no registration plate nor anymore details.

I have a pal who has a rear fender and there is a rear fender on facebook I'm waiting to hear back from.

Although I'm considering attempting to repair mine!

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,471 Posts
That is so sad that your Triumph classic got smashed into, it’s going to need some TLC for sure. U are entitled to one “Free Bikers Curse“ for Motorcycle Hit and Run Drivers In White Vans, hope this helps…FTG
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
59 Posts
People are inherently selfish. I too have had this happen as have may others. I have had it happen to my car and a trailer in the last year.

No offer of even an apology. Just driven off and they know they have done it

Feel for you dude as the bike looks well looked after and now you have to cough up the costs if repairs.

Take your kind and unselfish neighbour up on their offer 👍

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seems crazy, the UK is one of the "most watched" societies with cctv everywhere and what good is it? Doesn't prevent crime, you just get pictures after the event for some crap TV programme where the perpetrators get a community order or "no further action taken" :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So nearly 2 weeks since the idiot.

I've fitted two new throttle cables, am midway through fitting heated grips ( looking like a bit of a saga ), bought a new licence plate, bought a front mudguard, rear mudguard and a tank, have another tank on it's way from a friend too.

I was hoping that spending more on a really good condition bike would save more spending and out in the dark with a headtorch on but you can't plan for all the idiots of the world.

It's an absolute joy to work on!

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
595 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts