Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
I would never sell my Bonneville for a Harley but I would however own a Harlye 48 or a XR1200. I like those bikes alot, just not enought to trade my perfect Bonnie
I would not sell my Triumph either but as you I would look at a Harley but for me it would be trying to save the money to build an old Pan, Knuckle, Flat Head or early Shovel but before that I would like to build an old Pre Unit Triumph. Nothing newer than 1969 for me. The older the better for me. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I may be bored of my Scrambler. I am considering the 1200 Custom. 4.5 gallon tank & forward controls.
Out of apprx 30 bikes I've owned, not one a Harley.
It might be time. I know I could hustle the Harley on day rides. :cool:
I don't like the Harley aura, but I like the Harley motorcycle.
I may be able to keep both... Hmmm

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Scrambler and 2 Sportsters. I will not be without at least one Sportster as long as I am on this Earth. That being said, the Scrambler is a better ride.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yea the 48 looks cool and all that if that is what you are looking for, to be just a poser. For shear enjoyment I love my Street Triple along with my Bonneville for contrast. That being said I also love my Harley Street Glide for long trips.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Yea the 48 looks cool and all that if that is what you are looking for, to be just a poser. For shear enjoyment I love my Street Triple along with my Bonneville for contrast. That being said I also love my Harley Street Glide for long trips.
True, I do like to buy bikes, cars, guns, laptops, microwaves that look cool. If it looks stupid or lame, I usually pass on them. If that makes me a poser, then it is what it is.

I like the 48 because 1) it is made in the USA, 2) more power and torque, 3) kinda got bored with the cafe racer thing.

Maybe someday I'll be as cool and rich as you so I can own multiple bikes. But, since my wife and I just had a baby girl and I am only a Sergeant in the Army and don't make much money, I try to live within my means. And at this time of my life I can only afford to own one bike.

Sure, I only ride in the weekends and don't really go on epic rides. I am too busy serving this country and protecting your freedom to ride your bikes everyday during the weekdays. I spend my vacation with my family or working on the house. I do dream of going on a road trip on my bike. But so far it has only been a dream.

Like I said in my original post, I am not trolling. So, don't judge me for what bike I want to ride. Live and let live.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
True, I do like to buy bikes, cars, guns, laptops, microwaves that look cool. If it looks stupid or lame, I usually pass on them. If that makes me a poser, then it is what it is.

I like the 48 because 1) it is made in the USA, 2) more power and torque, 3) kinda got bored with the cafe racer thing.

Maybe someday I'll be as cool and rich as you so I can own multiple bikes. But, since my wife and I just had a baby girl and I am only a Sergeant in the Army and don't make much money, I try to live within my means. And at this time of my life I can only afford to own one bike.

Sure, I only ride in the weekends and don't really go on epic rides. I am too busy serving this country and protecting your freedom to ride your bikes everyday during the weekdays. I spend my vacation with my family or working on the house. I do dream of going on a road trip on my bike. But so far it has only been a dream.

Like I said in my original post, I am not trolling. So, don't judge me for what bike I want to ride. Live and let live.
Thank you for your service. :USAflag

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Thank you for your service. :USAflag
Thanks for your support, sir. I do want to make it clear that my intent was not to solicit for sympathy or compliments. And I apologize to throw the military card. I acknowledge that it is lame to do so. I just wanted to explain where I am coming from on this decision.

I love the Bonnie, but as some other member said, life is short and I want to move on.

On that note, thank you Triumph Rat Net and all the members for all the knowledge that you have shared with me. This forum is great. I must have saved thousands of $$$ by learning to mod/fix/take off/add on/buy/sell stuff on my Bonnie on my own. Maybe someday I'll own a Triumph again, maybe not.

Keep the rubber side down, fellas.

I am out.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Thanks for your support, sir. I do want to make it clear that my intent was not to solicit for sympathy or compliments. And I apologize to throw the military card. I acknowledge that it is lame to do so. I just wanted to explain where I am coming from on this decision.

I love the Bonnie, but as some other member said, life is short and I want to move on.
Never ever be afraid to tell things like they really are.

Oh I'm not a sir. I used to be a Concrete,Excavation, Light Industrial/Commercial type Construction Laborer for 24 years until my back,hips,knees and ankles finally gave out.

Ya and my insane self with all of my broken down lower body issues is building a Vintage Rigid. :rolleyes: I guess some things never change just like the work I once loved doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Scrambler and 2 Sportsters. I will not be without at least one Sportster as long as I am on this Earth. That being said, the Scrambler is a better ride.
you're killin' me. i visit my two sportsters at their respective dealerships and wonder...should i buy you back? owning too much bothers me. i want that one bike. one.

sportsters are so cool but soooo harsh and sometimes cruel. the roadster is my favorite.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
On that note, thank you Triumph Rat Net and all the members for all the knowledge that you have shared with me. This forum is great. I must have saved thousands of $$$ by learning to mod/fix/take off/add on/buy/sell stuff on my Bonnie on my own. Maybe someday I'll own a Triumph again, maybe not.

Keep the rubber side down, fellas.

I am out.
I say this all the time: TriumpRat.net is one of the best organized, best composed, best moderated forums on the www regardless of topic.

·
Registered
333 Posts
ya shoulda got a 'bonz which is the best lookin' machine the MOCO ever screwed together. too bad for you they don't make 'em no mo.

BTW i do got a bonnie which likes me a lot, too.

excuse me. i gotta go fight off da wimmins.
:)

·
Registered
775 Posts
My advice would be to find an HD dealership that would rent a '48 to you for the weekend or week. Scratch your itch and then really determine if the '48 is the way to go.

My second bike is an old '82 GS1100 Suzi 8V Shaft Drive. Big Plexi three fairing, more down-low grunt, about 65lbs heavier than the Bonnie she's a perfect highway flier. Insurance cost 17 a month. 39 a year for plates. GS's can be had for cheap. I would venture to say the money it would cost for you to move up to the '48 you could have an 80's UJM that would ride more comfortably, out perform and probably brake just as well as the '48.

If you are all about chain driven find a 1000E...back in '78-9 they ran high 11's.

Modern day version of the GS is the GSF Bandit.

Of course, if you wish to fit into the American made pirate-itis crowd, then by all means grab a '48...I don't know how hard you're buddies have been pestering you to own something American.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Of course, if you wish to fit into the American made pirate-itis crowd, then by all means grab a '48...I don't know how hard you're buddies have been pestering you to own something American.
I rode a demo Sportser today. 1200 custom with forward controls.
First Harley ever. I was thinking it would be a quirky stone age ride.

It was surprisingly well rounded. Nice motor and rolled through the curves well. Decently comfy.
New opinion from me...

41 - 60 of 65 Posts