Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Feed the fantasy. Buy the Harley. If you don't like it, come back to the Triumph. I have owned 7 Harleys but I am no brand loyalist. I have owned bikes from India, Italy Germany, China and Taiwan. Throw in a few Japanese bikes too. I have not looked at Craigslist in over 24 hours... must not look.

Be back in a bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Owned 2009 HD XR1200 and traded it on a 2012 Scrambler.

For the time I had it, I loved it. It won't win any speed contests but it was the best handling HD available and well within my budget at the time.

I didn't buy it for any reason other than wanting a HD. Unfortunately, there was something about the Scrambler that I could not resist.

When I retire for a second time, I will probably purchase another HD. The Switchback will be in my garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I rode a 48 during a demo day at a local HD dealership. It was the first Harley I'd ever ridden.

It's a BADASS bike, looks wise. However, I'm not crazy about forward controls. The tank is also VERY small. It was fun as all hell, but vibrated a ton. I've own a Harley since, and ride my wife's Sporty frequently, but man, the 48 vibrated A LOT.

I had a Bonnie before selling it for a Dyna Street Bob. The initial Harley kool-aid is hard to beat. The low-end torque is addictive. You feel like a badass, and you get that "this is what it's like to ride a Harley" feeling. That wore off after two years. My bike developed too many problems in too short a time. I sold it.

My wife's Sportster Low is also problematic: gaskets have failed TWICE this season, barfing oil everywhere. She's NOT pleased and is seriously considering selling it.

I find it hard to believe we both purchased two friggin' lemons. But it really ruined our experience.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I committed heresy in the British biking world by trading in my Street Triple for a Thruxton. Do I regret it? sometimes, especially when I'm sitting at traffic lights and some a-holes in a car try to block me out from merging into a lane and the power isnt there to out accelerate them. But on the whole I'm happy.

moral of the story is if we only bought bikes from spec sheets then we'd all only be riding fireblades. If you try a HD and you think you'd enjoy it then get rid of the bonnie.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
What was it that turned you off? Vibration? Ergonomics? Any insight would be great. I am planning on going back to the dealership, with boots this time, and test ride one.
the ergonomics and that fat front tire made me feel as if i were riding a clown bike at the circus. maybe it is also because i'm not a fan of forward controls. i knew immediately i couldn't live with it.

interesting thing...it has been many months and both my sportsters are still at dealers and remain unsold.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
interesting thing...it has been many months and both my sportsters are still at dealers and remain unsold.
Because the entire market is flooded with them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am not trolling. Just want your opinion on trading my 2010 Bonnie Black for a 2013 Harley Davidson Sportster 48. I love my Bonnie, it was my first bike and I poured my heart and soul to it. But, I have done what I wanted to do with it and I think it maybe it is time to move on to other projects.

Any riders here that have owned a HD or gone from a Triumph to a Harley or vice versa? Any pitfalls on owning a HD, besides the over-priced parts and services?
I had a 2010 48, loved the bike, but it was good for 50 miles and you were looking to get off of it. Oh and around 65 miles the low fuel light would come on. It was the Harley I really loved the look of, but it just wasn't comfortable. I went from that to my 2012 T100, and never never looked back. I found the motorcycle that is perfect for me. I would give it some thought before you do it!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I vote add to the stable... they are different enough bikes to justify if you have the means... I had an 87 sportster street tracker that was pushing 95hp... that was a fun, fast, scary, manly freaking bike... I miss it still, and if I had the means I would have kept it instead of selling to get another bike.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I agree with the two bikes is better than one mentality...if you have the means of course.

There is no one bike that's perfect for everything....except maybe a multistrada lol. I really dig the look of the 48 as well and would LOVE to have one. If I ever get my 748R back together and get it sold I would definitely consider one for sure, but only if I could keep my Thruxton and 748 cafe-fighter I currently ride.

It's my dream to snag one, swap in an monoshock rear and USD fork, and redo the subframe with a cafe style tail....but I have problems with no ground clearance and sitting on the rear tire while I ride:D

If I got one I would be getting into it knowing full well (even without a test ride) that it is a raucous, obnoxious, crude, brutal, and grossly uncomfortable machine with little to no practicality whatsoever.....and I would be totally okay with that.

It's a completely different animal and needs to be treated and viewed as such. It would suck if you sold the bonnie and bought the 48 and realized after a month you made a mistake.

Best of luck on the decision, either way as others said...you're still riding and in the end that's all that matters.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think my Bonnie is trying to tell me something. When I had someone over to check her out, the bike would not start. It was quite embarrassing. The fuel pump made its noise, but when I push the start button just a click from the coil. I was pissed. The guy left and I don't think I will be hearing from him soon. He was willing to pay what I was asking for too.

I don't think my Bonnie wants to leave yet.

I took the battery and hooked it up to a battery charger. Slapped it back in and the bike started at first try. I am thinking the cold weather has something to do with it. I took her for a 30 minute ride to charge the battery some more.

I am planning to hook the battery up to the charger the night before the next test ride.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
I think my Bonnie is trying to tell me something. When I had someone over to check her out, the bike would not start. It was quite embarrassing. The fuel pump made its noise, but when I push the start button just a click from the coil. I was pissed. The guy left and I don't think I will be hearing from him soon. He was willing to pay what I was asking for too.

I don't think my Bonnie wants to leave yet.

I took the battery and hooked it up to a battery charger. Slapped it back in and the bike started at first try. I am thinking the cold weather has something to do with it. I took her for a 30 minute ride to charge the battery some more.

I am planning to hook the battery up to the charger the night before the next test ride.
Omen :eek:

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
I know, right? It is creepy.
Not creepy at all. It is that your bike has feelings for you. The both of you have been one together for how long, how many pleasurable hours and miles of riding?

If anything add another Triumph to the collection. :D

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
I made the swap this summer

Beerzerker, I watched you turn your bonnie into a real nice cafe racer. i did the same with my 2009 SE. It was my first bike also. I loved every 12000 miles I put on her. Last year I tried my buddy's Sporty and the seed was planted. It does feel heavy. it'll be the same for you since you also have that 17" front wheel.

In June my buddy made me an offer to swap and I took the Sporty home for more extensive riding and I was hooked. I have an 05 Sportster 1200R. I love the growl and I love the torque. And for me the extra 100 pounds makes me feel more secure.

Bottom line is that there are so many choices out there. You have to ride the 48 as much as you can to make sure you're happy.

Everyone has advice as to what works and what doesn't. I threw Avon Roadriders on my Sportster and rode over 500 miles each way down to Durham, NC. I rode with a Thruxtin and a Guzzi and we kept off the slab as much as possible.

The Harley rode great, I felt secure ion the twisties and had tons of power to keep up with my mates. The bike was a champ.

None of this is an indictment of my Bonneville. The bike was bullet-proof and did everything great. Candidly, I was just getting bored.

One advantage the Sportster has is the availability and lower cost of aftermarket parts. Much more.

Good luck on your choice and hit me up if you want to talk more.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Beerzerker, I watched you turn your bonnie into a real nice cafe racer. i did the same with my 2009 SE. It was my first bike also. I loved every 12000 miles I put on her. Last year I tried my buddy's Sporty and the seed was planted. It does feel heavy. it'll be the same for you since you also have that 17" front wheel.

In June my buddy made me an offer to swap and I took the Sporty home for more extensive riding and I was hooked. I have an 05 Sportster 1200R. I love the growl and I love the torque. And for me the extra 100 pounds makes me feel more secure.

Bottom line is that there are so many choices out there. You have to ride the 48 as much as you can to make sure you're happy.

Everyone has advice as to what works and what doesn't. I threw Avon Roadriders on my Sportster and rode over 500 miles each way down to Durham, NC. I rode with a Thruxtin and a Guzzi and we kept off the slab as much as possible.

The Harley rode great, I felt secure ion the twisties and had tons of power to keep up with my mates. The bike was a champ.

None of this is an indictment of my Bonneville. The bike was bullet-proof and did everything great. Candidly, I was just getting bored.

One advantage the Sportster has is the availability and lower cost of aftermarket parts. Much more.

Good luck on your choice and hit me up if you want to talk more.

Thanks for the advice and kind words, sir. Your new bike looks great. Can't wait to get my new one in the garage.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I would never sell my Bonneville for a Harley but I would however own a Harlye 48 or a XR1200. I like those bikes alot, just not enought to trade my perfect Bonnie

21 - 40 of 65 Posts