Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not trolling. Just want your opinion on trading my 2010 Bonnie Black for a 2013 Harley Davidson Sportster 48. I love my Bonnie, it was my first bike and I poured my heart and soul to it. But, I have done what I wanted to do with it and I think it maybe it is time to move on to other projects.

Any riders here that have owned a HD or gone from a Triumph to a Harley or vice versa? Any pitfalls on owning a HD, besides the over-priced parts and services?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
If I remember there is a comparison between the Bonnie and the HD 48 here on this forum, and it didn't like the 48. I'd read up on them, every thing I've read has been negative.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a sportster and a bonneville. My sporty is set up very different from a 48 as it has small apes and is very relaxed. "Sportster" is a relative term though. I can toast any sportster on my Bonny. I feel like the Bonny is an all around better bike. It is faster, handles waaaaay better, is more reliable and much smoother in every way. The sporty was my only vehicle for 4-5 years. when I bought the bonneville, the first thing I said to my wife was "I could do anything on his bike".

I'm not trying to bag a sporty, it was my only vehicle for years, but I enjoy my triumph much more. When I ride my Bonny, I find ways to make the ride longer.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've had both bikes. The Bonneville is better weight and power handling wise. But really test ride the 48 and see what you like. Mind you its got a small ass gas tank.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really apples and oranges in my opinion. I have had a lot of HD bikes (still have a CVO Street Glide and a Softail Custom) as well as three triumphs and have really enjoyed them all. Test ride one and see if it works for you but don't expect it to outperform your Bonnie. In the Sporty line I think the 72 is pretty cool.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
It is not what you ride but that you ride that counts and no matter what you ride or even if you cannot ride we are all brothers and sisters in the wind and in spirit.

Enjoy what you find is best for your tastes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it was the Storz SP1200RR, I'd say go for it.

I prefer the Bonneville, but you should get what you want to ride. I'd try out and test ride a few sportsters before sealing the deal though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i just went from a 1200 sporty to a bonneville, the bonneville feels like it hovers on air compared to the sporty.
dont get me wrong i liked the sportster but never realised how heavy it was till i got on the bonneville.
i liked the sporty but just could not get on with the harley v-twin engine, especially around town which is most of my miles.
plus harleys really have crap brakes, i had the tein disc set up on the fronmt on the harley but the single setup on the bonneville is far better braking.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My .02 cents HD bikes are red meat machines which needs lotta feeding whereas my triumph is a euro bike on diet which eats much less.
BTW I own both HD & triumph in my garage and HD has become my garage queen whereas my scramby is my workhorse

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would say ride the HD, if you like it, buy it, but keep the Bonnie. You can sell one of them later (much later). Life is short, enjoy it all.

I have owned 3 sportsters, to me they are a completely different motorcycle (than the Bonnie).

Good luck

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Depends somewhat where and how you ride. The Bonnie is definitely better for spirited riding

·
Registered
430 Posts
Really apples and oranges in my opinion. I have had a lot of HD bikes (still have a CVO Street Glide and a Softail Custom) as well as three triumphs and have really enjoyed them all. Test ride one and see if it works for you but don't expect it to outperform your Bonnie. In the Sporty line I think the 72 is pretty cool.
I looked hard at the 72 as well. I used to own a Heritage Classic, way too heavy.

I have a new Bonnie and could not be happier with it.

All that said, I agree with everyone else that has said to buy what makes YOU happy. Life is too short.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Greetings,

I stopped by the local HD dealer on Thursday and did see a 2013 1200 Sportster that seemed to almost have a real gas tank. It "looked" a lot better than other sportsters with the tiny tanks and skinny frame. I have ridden many and I always thought they were a little overpowered and squirrelly for such a small bike. I wouldn't trade my 11' America for it though, it was priced a little over 11k US.

(I do go in to check out the 2013 Dyna Fat Bob, dual headlights and all. My favourite HD. When the times comes, I'm betting on a Thunderbird winning though. :) )

Cheers!

Ride what makes you happy! :)

Photon

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
My GF's oldest Sister is on a 1200 Harley right now and wants a bigger bike. I'm trying to get her to look at or go test ride a Triumph America since she is talking a Cruiser but with as much junk as she packs on her bike now for any out of town road trips I told her just look at a Bagger that will suit her needs. Always try to take a test ride on ALL of your options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i've gone back and forth between harleys and triumphs. four of each, among other bikes owned. harleys are harleys. you like 'em or you don't.

regarding the sportster specifically, and although it is my favorite harley, they are rough and crude and nasty. however, that's their charm.

overall, my bonneville is my favorite motorcycle. i've owned a speed triple and its speed and capability and muscle are wonderful, but unless you're pushing it most of the time...it gets...uncharacteristically...without character.

this isn't helping. get whatever you want. you'll enjoy the forty-eight, but not for very long. for what it's worth, after having riidden one around the lot for all of one minute i decided a full road test was no longer necessary.

life is short. i am on my fourth motorcycle in one year. two were sportsters.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you'll enjoy the forty-eight, but not for very long. for what it's worth, after having riidden one around the lot for all of one minute i decided a full road test was no longer necessary.
What was it that turned you off? Vibration? Ergonomics? Any insight would be great. I am planning on going back to the dealership, with boots this time, and test ride one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you do decide to go the HD route just make sure you pick a dealership that has a decent workshop reputation. My experiences with HD dealerships when I owned a Buell made certain that I never own anything they make again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OP, like you, I'm not trolling. HD is my ultimate favorite make and I've owned 6 of them.

Make sure you test the sporty you're interested in *at highway speed*. I can't speak to these new sportsters but, back then, mine was all vibrations on the highway. I hated it over 45 mph. It was top heavy and awkward to handle.

IMHO the Bonnie is a better all around bike than a sportster.

Now, if you were going to a big bike. I'd tell you to dive in and never look back. ;-)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts