Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after having ridden my Bonnie for a year, I was starting to feel like I could use more power. I also have started really getting into the idea of long distance touring, and the Bonnie just didn't cut it for me for that. So it came down to a choice between a 2008 Ducati Multistrada 1100s with lots of extras, and 8000k, or a brand new 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS with bags. Both around the same price, from the same dealer. One of the deciding factors is my bike has to stay outside 8 months of the year. The fantastic Triumph rain gear tells me Triumph expects their bikes to be ridden in any kind of weather.... Ducati, not so much... Many thanks for all the info gotten from this forum, I will still be on the website, just under the Tiger subsection :)

BTW I will probably have a Davida Union Jack helmet, and Retro Daytona Icon jacket for sale soon in the classifieds. They just don't go with the style of the Tiger.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Cannot comment on the Ducati but the Tiger is a superb mile eater and surprisingly quick. Know plenty of people who leave their Triumphs outside in the very wet UK. Not sure they could do the same with a Ducati.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I test rode a new Tiger a few weeks ago. Very easy to ride, but a bit top heavy, I think. Gonna be a great bike to eat up the miles in any weather.

·
Registered
226 Posts
italian bikes water and elictricals

need i say more i've got a 955i and i ride her all year round.
never gone wrong in 12'000 miles. stays outside just a cover in the winter

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Sometimes it is just right to move on to something new. Enjoy that new ride. You'll always remember your Bonnie fondly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really wish I could have kept both bikes, but I also believe after riding the Tiger for a month the Bonnie wouldn't get ridden very much.

The Davida is a size Large 58-60 cm. It comes with Aviator Goggles, it is about a 9 out of 10, a couple of nicks from bumping into things, but otherwise perfect. I am looking for $300 US.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Nice choice. I rode a Tiger last Saturday and loved it. Then I rode a RIII and couldn't decide which of the two I liked better.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Me, too. I ended up with the R3 but have plenty of seat time on a Tiger and would have been just as happy there. The R3 was a new leftover and the deal was too sweet to pass up.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've just gone the other way, trading in my '07 Tiger for a new Bonneville. The Tiger was probably the best bike I've ever owned. Without a doubt, it had the best engine I have ever owned and had all the power I ever needed. Like you, I bought it for long distance riding.

But last year I broke my ankle and afterwards found that I was not as steady as I would have liked on the top-heavy Tiger when stopped in traffic. Since most of my riding is now around town and on the twisties out here in the boondocks, I switched to the Bonneville. Much lower CG and just as much fun zooming around town.

Enjoy your Tiger.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
+1 on all said about the Tiger, from a current Bonnie owner.

I test rode a Tiger for about 3 Hours last month. Nice motor, nice power. It makes you wonder why they didn't put THIS motor in the Bonneville. Tradition I would guess. The only "negative"(?) would be the riding position, for me anyway. But that is a personal choice.

Hope you enjoy it. Nice Bike.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Some have commented that the Tiger is 'top heavy.' I don't think so. Maybe if you compare it to a race bike or a 600, but not for a full sized, standard.

Tiger is a great bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the biggest difference between the two is the Bonnie feels very mechanical and metallic. Just changing gears, using the throttle, brakes etc.... everything takes a bit of effort. The Tiger is effortless, after climbing back on my Bonnie after the test ride I thought my throttle was broken because of how hard I had to twist to move it. After a couple of blocks I was back used to it again. The Bonnie feels very substantial, but the Tiger is just smooth as silk.

As for being top heavy I am 6'1" and can't quite flat foot it, but I can sneak up on a traffic light wayyyyy slower with the Tiger. It just seems way better balanced. Pulling a U-turn is a bit more difficult, but that could just be because I am used to the Bonnie, and have only put about 100 kms on the Tiger, ask me again in a month....

As for power, having to shift at 3500 rpm for the first 100 miles means I haven't really experienced the potential of the Tiger yet. I did crack it open on the broken in demo bike, and the torque is unbelievable.

The seating position is quite a bit more comfortable, but I had put cafe bars on the Bonnie, so not really a fair comparison. I do feel like I could ride the Tiger for quite a bit longer without fatigue.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I enjoy both.:D Top Heavy: Very much so at zero speed, but once moving, it is VERY light feeling. I took the Tiger on a 2600 mile trip last August with two back to back 600 mile days. I was very surprised at how I felt after those two days--much less tired than when I covered the same mileage in a car.

I just traded my '07 in for a left-over '08 with ABS.:)

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
wow, this is the exact dilema i am facing right now. i absolutely love my thruxton to death; love to sound, the looks, always get compliments on it, and it's just a damn cool looking bike and a lot of fun, but i had major back surgery in december, and rode m thruxton to LA last weekend (first long-ish ride since surgery) and the ride destroyed my back, so i have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my thruxton for a used '07 or '08 tiger. (the thrux is my first bike, and for some reason feel loyalty to the triumph brand. so far my thrux has proved to be a very solid, well-made bike and has never disappointed. top quality) i also want to go on longer trips and have more of a 'utilitarian' bike that will haul gear, passenger, etc., and the tiger just seems like the perfect bike for what i want to do. in a perfect world i would have both, but can only afford one! i love the 'usability' and versitility of the tiger, ( looks of the tiger, not so much) but if i get rid of my thrux i know i will be upset for a while, but would love to versatility of the tiger. i am pretty sure if i got a tiget though, i wouldnt have the old guys (i am 33) crowding around the bike and yelling at me at lights, telling me stories of their old triumphs, which i would definately miss as wll.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
wow, this is the exact dilema i am facing right now. i absolutely love my thruxton to death; love to sound, the looks, always get compliments on it, and it's just a damn cool looking bike and a lot of fun, but i had major back surgery in december, and rode m thruxton to LA last weekend (first long-ish ride since surgery) and the ride destroyed my back, so i have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my thruxton for a used '07 or '08 tiger. (the thrux is my first bike, and for some reason feel loyalty to the triumph brand. so far my thrux has proved to be a very solid, well-made bike and has never disappointed. top quality) i also want to go on longer trips and have more of a 'utilitarian' bike that will haul gear, passenger, etc., and the tiger just seems like the perfect bike for what i want to do. in a perfect world i would have both, but can only afford one! i love the 'usability' and versitility of the tiger, ( looks of the tiger, not so much) but if i get rid of my thrux i know i will be upset for a while, but would love to versatility of the tiger. i am pretty sure if i got a tiget though, i wouldnt have the old guys (i am 33) crowding around the bike and yelling at me at lights, telling me stories of their old triumphs, which i would definately miss as wll.
Maybe try swapping out the clip ons for a bar kit?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Maybe try swapping out the clip ons for a bar kit?
to me that just defeats the whole purpose of the thruxton, and then you are trying to turn it into something it isn't. i know people tour on bonnies and thruxtons, but for me it just seems like it would be very uncomfortable. go big or go home!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
to me that just defeats the whole purpose of the thruxton, and then you are trying to turn it into something it isn't. i know people tour on bonnies and thruxtons, but for me it just seems like it would be very uncomfortable. go big or go home!
lol I understand. Check out the Special Edition Tiger . . it's the best looking one I've seen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts