Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Honda CB1000R! :p

In short, the Honda has nothing I didn't like about the Speed Triple. It's better in every single way except one--it doesn't tickle my gentleman's parts as much. The bike weighs the same as a S3 but it feels 50lbs lighter. Steering is telepathic. The engine is smoother than a stick of warm butter. Power is on par or even more powerful than the S3 without all the noise and drama. Fueling, suspension, transmission are a huge improvement. Overall, it feels modern and a lot more refined. Hondas are boring? I just think they are too perfect and clinical for some people.

The "flaws" of the S3 is what I really miss. I miss the rough, big stroke character of the 1050 engine. I found out how spoiled I was with the Brembo calipers and steel brake lines too. I also miss muscling and forcing the Speed Triple through turns. She was a great bike with a big heart. I was able to spend a few hours on our final night together. What did I do? I uninstalled all the accessories I had put on it (for sale in classified now). I got a bit emotional when I left her at the dealership. I gave her a big "THANK YOU" as I rode off with my new bike.

And thank you all for a great ownership experience on these forums! You guys were awesome and will be missed.

·
SUPERcharged Moderator
8,853 Posts
We have appreciated your participation in these forums.

Hope you have many safe miles and enjoy your flaw free ( soul free? :p) Honda.
All jokes aside hope to see you back on a triumph one day.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice!

In the end, my choice was between de 11 Speedie and CB1000R. I found it just like you, to good, smooth and almost no emotion to it. Also the full digital display couldn´t grow on me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Happy riding on your new Honda mate,you're welcome back to the triple anytime ;)
I'm sure being a Honda it will be a reliable and trustworthy steed,call in in a few months and let us know how you are finding it and any upgrades you have done
Keep it rubber side down

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very nice bike, the only bike I liked when sitting on it, other than my street triple, was a Honda cbr600rr, Honda surely knows how to build nice bikes.
Still better like Triumph ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Enjoy, man. I was interested in one of these but after 70,000kms on my 2002 Fireblade I fancied something with a bit more character.

I doubt you will be disapointed in your new purchase - Honda build great bikes which is why I kept my blade for so long. But, for me, my Speed Triple 2011 is special

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can only repeat as said above, I've had Honda bikes very reliable smooth etc but no involvement ends up feeling like you are riding an automatic stick it in third and just roll the throttle, the speedy however wants/needs you to use the gears :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice!

In the end, my choice was between de 11 Speedie and CB1000R. I found it just like you, to good, smooth and almost no emotion to it. Also the full digital display couldn´t grow on me.
kawasaki z1000/z750 would have been my other choice if i had to get rid of s3 good luck bud happy riding keep it upright

·
Registered
356 Posts
I replaced my '03 z1000 with a '12 Speed, looked at the Honda on paper but it just didn't look that exciting (flashbacks to the 919) and availability this summer seemed awfully spotty. If I hadn't gone with the Triumph I'd probably have gotten another Kawi.

Did your dealer just have one or did you have to order and wait a while? Dunno if the left coast dealers are having an easier time getting japbikes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it doesn't have more power than Triple (05->):

CB1000 in in my opinion is ugly(rear wheel, headlight) and Honda after Triumph?? If I have to trade my S3 for something it would be Ducati, Benelli, MV, MotoMorini, KTM.. Anything with soul. ;)

Don't go too far with modifications, you would be trading it back to Triumph in no time. :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Cycle World just did a comparo of Z1 v Spd v 1000R. They rated them 123, Kaw., Tri., Honda. If you read the article there`s not much between them tho`. Honda rated tops for city riding. I`d consider any one of `em if buying new. Torque/HP graphs are good for bragging rights, but mean nothing in the real world. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As for going for something with more exotic, at least with the Honda you have a big dealer network & legendary reliability. I`ve heard awful things about Benelli`s reliability, & Aprilia`s dealership support.
Ducs are just too expensive & trendy (IMO).

You made a great purchase & I don`t think you`ll regret it at all.;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congratulations I too considered one.
I chose a Speed Triple instead because I think I will enjoy it more, I already have a Z1000.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Torque/HP graphs are good for bragging rights, but mean nothing in the real world.
Beg to differ. Torque graphs show what real world power will be like. The higher and flatter, the better! motorbike2

That leads to my second point, the Honda with its boring IL4 will lose its shine. V-twins and triples are where it's at!!!! V4's too. :beerchug

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Beg to differ. Torque graphs show what real world power will be like. The higher and flatter, the better! motorbike2

That leads to my second point, the Honda with its boring IL4 will lose its shine. V-twins and triples are where it's at!!!! V4's too. :beerchug
But since none of us are riding in Moto GP it`s not really the be all & end all of what makes a bike suitable for each person. The fact that they picked the Hon. as the best city bike, might make it perfect for the bloke who bought it.

If you`re all about performance, perhaps you should have picked somethin` other than a Spd.3 yerself. It`s not the sharpest knife in the draw, speed or handling wise. Aren`t the Moto GP bikes that are the fastest on the planet mostly "boring IL4s"?. I just watched the Italian GP & those boring bikes finished 1,2, & 3. Yam., Hon., Hon.,. Maybe you find them boring winning most of the time.:rolleyes: There`s lots more suitable than the Spd.3 for the 1/4 mile circus too. Even the stunters use mostly IL4 sportbikes.

You obviously like yer bike, I like mine, & that guy is gonna enjoy his Honda. In spite of what a line on a piece of paper says. All these bikes have "enuff" power. None of them are "serious" racetrack tools. But that wasn`t the point of nakeds in the first place.

Long live the naked !!!, no matter who builds it.;)

PS: I drink beer too.:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
But since none of us are riding in Moto GP it`s not really the be all & end all of what makes a bike suitable for each person. The fact that they picked the Hon. as the best city bike, might make it perfect for the bloke who bought it.

You are confusing peak numbers with graphs. If you originally meant to say: "buyers shouldn't get wrapped up in peak numbers" then we are in total agreement. Same thing with 1/4 mile times and top end numbers.

One of the main reasons I became interested in the triple motor was specifically because of the flat and healthy torque curve (or lack of curve!) on its dyno graphs. Subjective things like seating position, styling, prices, etc narrowed it down for me to the Speed Triple over the Tiger or Sprint.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the kind words :D

I plan on using this bike for my daily commute every day of the year.
I honestly can't say the S3 is better or worse than the CB. Both are awesome bikes in different flavors.

Did your dealer just have one or did you have to order and wait a while? Dunno if the left coast dealers are having an easier time getting japbikes.
I've been waiting since December when they announced the bike! It's been delayed and pushed back numerous times for various reasons. I called the dealership on the day they received it. The deal was done that day!

I think it doesn't have more power than Triple (05->):

CB1000 in in my opinion is ugly(rear wheel, headlight) and Honda after Triumph?? If I have to trade my S3 for something it would be Ducati, Benelli, MV, MotoMorini, KTM.. Anything with soul. ;)
You have to remember that the Speed Triple in this test had Arrow slip-ons. If you ride the S3 and CB side by side, the CB has the sharper throttle response and better fuel mapping so it will feel faster. My opinion is subjective though.

I don't buy into the idea that Japbikes are boring. Sure, it lacks the rawness and rough edges of Euros. But it's like comparing a pretty girl at church to a hot whore at the bunny ranch. Two different girls for different roles.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You are confusing peak numbers with graphs. If you originally meant to say: "buyers shouldn't get wrapped up in peak numbers" then we are in total agreement. Same thing with 1/4 mile times and top end numbers.

One of the main reasons I became interested in the triple motor was specifically because of the flat and healthy torque curve (or lack of curve!) on its dyno graphs. Subjective things like seating position, styling, prices, etc narrowed it down for me to the Speed Triple over the Tiger or Sprint.
Then I`d say we are in perfect agreement then. All these bikes have more than enough torque/HP for MOST people. If you like the ride, looks, price, dealer service, etc, of one over the other, then it`s the bike for YOU. I have a Spd3 & I luv it., but I respect the attributes of other models. I also like to see diversity. Friendly interbrand competition & a humorous cajoloing was a staple of motorcycling from the begining. Unfortunatley I see it being replaced by a "my bike`s better than your bike, na, na, na," attitude. The best bike in the world is always the one YOU like/ride ;).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts