Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Thunderbird Storm two weeks ago. When coasting with my hands off the handlebars, I find the bike pulls heavily to the left. My America would coast straight as an arrow. I don't feel any pull with normal riding. The dealer had two mechanics ride the bike and both experienced the same heavy pull to the left while the bike was in gear with no hands on the handlebars. One mechanic said that when he found neutral, the bike straightened its course. That same mechanic told me that he believed the pull to the left was due to the torque convertor and drive being on the left side of the bike. I'm just curious if any of the other Storm owners have experienced the same thing?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Thats not normal. I've noticed that too, but very slight. And when i say slight i mean VERY slight. In fact, it sometimes doesn't at all. If i were you I would look into wheel alignment because if the dealer set up the rear using the alignment marks, they are definately off and the wheel will not be correctly aligned. They have to use an alignment tool and use the little square nubs on the swingarm as measuring points.

Also i would check the steering head to make sure it's not too tight or loose. Once those 2 things are eliminated then if it still does it chances are you may have a defective tire or something. But i would remove those from suspicion first. Don't assume your dealer knows what they are doing. Many are clueless on any number of issues. You'd be surprised.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If it was over here you could maybe put it down to the camber of the road but you fellas ride on the other side so i wouldn't think it was that. cant say i have noticed it myself, it would probably be worse here because of the camber, i will check next ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bike does the EXACT same thing...always has.

It actually "leans left"...but with still go straight if I lean right with my hands off..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys - hate to re-hash an old thread, but this was here so why start a new one?

I've only got 2500 miles on my 2010 1600, and it also has a left lean with hands off the bars. Doesn't seem to be as noticeable when in neutral, but in gear it's very obvious. Took it to the dealer, all alignment was in check, my belt doesn't rub, and had the chance to ride another bird which did the same thing. Yet most say it's not normal..

There's a lot of Birds out there, I can't believe that only 4 of us have this lean.

Anyone else who feels it, or maybe can shed theories on it?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mine does this also, and after checking rear alignment I found that the forks were not equal. Loosened the pinch bolts and adjusted them equally and it rides fine. NOTE the bike was set up correctly, the right side fork has a slight leak. What I did was a "band aid" but really needs to fixed correctly. Look at every thing and do'nt overlook the front for handling issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
linkdog - that makes a lot of sense, and I didn't even think of fork being off like that. I'll give that a check (once this rains ends that is) - Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 300 miles on my 2012 Thunderbird. Mine tracks very true. I can even change lanes right or left with my hands off the bars.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine tracks pretty close to true, but I know it does pull a little bit to one side... can't quite remember which side though. The next time I ride it I will see what it is doing, then do some measuring of the front forks to see if they are a bit off...

This was always one of my pet peeves about the bike... it had that slight pull that did not allow me to go completely hands free for more than a few seconds unless I leaned. My old Suzuki Intruder 800 tracked perfectly straight, and I could lock the throttle on that thing and go for miles. The same appears to be true with my Honda 919 now as well, so I will most likely be looking for a throttle lock for it sometime soon as well.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mine was very true when it was new and up to around 10,000 mi.,and after I could control it with a slight lean. Then I had new tires installed at 12,000 mi. and it was way worse, the rear was not aligned so I aligned the rear true and it was better but not perfect. For a while I've noticed a film on the right fork nothing major so I thought nothing of it until recently and have exausted all other reasons why it tracks left, thats when I measured the forks and found them to be different. I have checked them before but the bike was lifted in the air and was always true, it must have weight on them to see if they are sagging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly "HOW" do you check to see if the forks are equal?

Mine appear to be even on top of the trees...should I be looking elsewhere?

:confused:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Measure from the bottom of the lower triple tree to the top of the lower fork tubes. The difference on mine was 1/8" or .125".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts