Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to decide on a paint job for my track bike. I intended on using a single color but I kinda like the way the silver tail looks so I used paint to get a rough Idea of what was possible. I have know idea what I'm doing here so any suggestions would be great.
here's how it looks now(ram air is blue but I forgot to install)

here is my first shot.

starting to look like a shoe now

definitely an Adidas now.

the blue may end up British racing green so these are just to get me thinking really.

·
Registered
172 Posts
are you getting a professional paint job or are you doing it yourself? if you are doing it yourself and plan on doing something above and beyond a rattle can job, i would seriously think about a more simple scheme. the only reason that i say this is that when i wanted to paint my track bike, i went full bore. i purchased real auto paint, a pro paint gun and built a tent in my garage. while it was pricey, it was less than a pro job and very satisfying to complete, plus i learned a ton about painting. one thing i learned is that it was hard enough to do a simple two color job on a fairing, much less a bunch of striping. anyway, just my $0.02. here is how the upper turned out.

what tail section are you running? looks like a D600, but is that race glass or a stock tail section? also, is that a Daytona T595 seat? how is the tail seat combo working out?

jeff h

·
Registered
235 Posts
Keep it as simple as possible. When you drop it, you'll be annoyed if you have to repaint some complex craphics

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tail plastic is from a daytona 600 and thats the stock seat from my X speed triple. I had to modify the subframe and under try on the TT as well as the plastic and the seat. I raised the seat hight slightly and the seat puts you more into the tank. I know the designs look complicated but its realy not too bad as long as you remember not to get in a hurry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
On 2007-01-21 15:08, Agkistrodon wrote:
I know the designs look complicated but its realy not too bad as long as you remember not to get in a hurry.
thanks for the info on the tail/seat. i have to agree with Pete on this one - you will be really pissed if you drop the bike on the track and your detailed paint work is damaged. i see many people around here buying cheap plastics and spray painting them just for the track. if they drop the bike, no harm, no foul and their good street plastics are fine.

jeff h

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
I never bothered to paint track plastic, except when I made repairs. Then I used rattlecan paint that kinda matched. It looked ok from the side of the track when I went past at a high rate of speed, but it looked terrible up close.

The right side of the bike has a fair amount of yellow duct tape on it. The left side has some rattle can paint over ABS cement repairs. The rattle can paint matches the duct tape a bit better than it matches the OEM Triumph paint. The plastic I have for track duty on the 675 is unpainted white gel coat. it will probably stay that way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have 2 full sets of plastics for it, the blue and a mismatched set so I can paint one while the bike is still in riding condition. I'll probably just leave it as it is because its too cold to paint anyway and I have a track day on Feb 5th. This is one bike that I'm not worried about, its gone down more than an alter boy at the Vatican. Seeing that pic of wills TT reminds me of the first time I crashed it. I had one yellow and one blue side fairing and a half blue half blue duct tape front piece for a while.

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
On 2007-01-21 17:39, Agkistrodon wrote:
... its gone down more than an alter boy at the Vatican...
:razz: It must be a TT600 thing. Mine collected scars like a bullfighter, and I know that Craig (clutchNthrottle) tossed his regularly, too. I love the 675, but I kinda miss the TT600's eager attitude. It really didn't care how overmatched it was, it was always ready for a go at anything.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
If you want the opinion of a painter, this looks like a pretty complicated paintjob; especially with all of the curves of a TT600. Personally, I would feel suicidal if I painted the bike with that scheme and then even scratched it. If you do decide to go ahead with the scheme, I would highly recommend using base coat clear coat. You can shoot the silver, mask it off, and then shoot the blue. Let it dry about 15 hours (depending on the paint brand) and then peal off the masking and shoot your clear. Put plenty of clear on so you cannot see/feel the tutone lines. I must warn you that shooting the clear can be really tricky if you have never done it before. The stuff comes out like water, so it is really easy to run it when you are trying to get a nice smooth coat on. Just some info incase you could use it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On 2007-01-21 17:04, Will wrote:
The plastic I have for track duty on the 675 is unpainted white gel coat. it will probably stay that way.
Aw come on Will, spend $50 bucks and a weekend to paint your track skins. Think of how much faster it’ll go. :razz:

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
On 2007-01-22 13:23, Kima wrote:
On 2007-01-21 17:04, Will wrote:
The plastic I have for track duty on the 675 is unpainted white gel coat. it will probably stay that way.
Aw come on Will, spend $50 bucks and a weekend to paint your track skins. Think of how much faster it’ll go. :razz:
You got a point! That might be worth the other five MPH...

:-D

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
On 2007-01-26 13:19, REVMAV wrote:
How do you post pictures on this reply?
You need to upload your picture onto a website (like photobucket.com), then when you post a comment click on the "image" icon bellow the smiley faces. That brings up a box where you paste the HTML address of your picture from the website and there you have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Grand Prix 125!

REVMAV

PS I sold my '03 R6 track bike and my MV Agusta Brutale and I'm picking up my new Daytona 675 next Saturday! Yea baby!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts