Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have had to sell both my Jap sports bike to buy a 2008 FI Thruxton :). As the Thrux is now my only sports bike I was wondering if any one out there has done any track days on one . As once the sun comes back out here in Blighty ,I'll be heading for Brands Hatch .
So any pointers regarding set up or tyre choices would be most welcome as I don't want to let the side down and be any slower then nessecery as I'll be the only Triumph twin out there.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do a "search" for Thruxton Cup, they have a dedicated race series for Thruxtons in the US, dont know whether they have right hand turns in it as well as lefts though.(maybe thats just NASCAR)
:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fun

Yepper! I've done 4 or 5 track days (4?) on the Thruxton (see picture on side bar). I'm trying to get into the Thruxton Cup here in the US, missed 2008 but will be ready in 2009.

I have the "Pirelli sport deamons" for tyres, but first 2 or 3 track days were on the stock Metzlers. I myself can't tell the difference - but that's only because I'm a NOOB :confused: and don't know what I'm looking for. In the one race (mock race for license against 5 other students and some teachers) at least i did beat one of the other students on some gsrx something or other, so the tyres must be sticky enough for me anyway.

I haven't low sided yet, but that may mean i'm just too concervative in my leaning still ;-)

shocks - I bought some YSS for the rear, they are not tweaked in perfect yet but again it's beacuse the changes are so subtle I'm not sure what to change :mad:

I did replace the front springs with cartridge emulators and stiffer springs.

You will definately eb the slowest bike on the track. 125 cc 2 strokers will beat you. Having said that - you'll still have the coolest bike on the track! :D

For me (old guy) it's about pushing MY enevelope, not win win win so I don't mind at all - there to have fun. If the fun at track days for you is to beat your friends -- well -- uh...

The Thruxton is a BLAST in the twisties. It's old scool (twin rear shocks and all) but a blast nonetheless.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
p.s. FUN for ALL

One more note: TRACK DAYS (as opposed to races) are great fun for EVERYONE. If you've never been to one, GO. They split up into four or so groups depending on skill (your opinion of yourself) and you can change throughout the day.

One time, there was a big old BMW - FULL SADDLE BAGS and fairing buzzing around, the guy was having a blast! And why not?

• No cars to look out for
  • Everyone is going in same direction
  • The pavement is clean
  • You hit the same turns about 80 times a day, so you really get to work on YOUR cornering skills
  • You get to see how other skilled riders go through the slots, so you constantly have a guide if you want one
  • You go as fast or as slow as you feel comfortable
  • The are one or maybe two fully stocked ambulances ready and waiting in case of mishap. I've only seen it pulled out once, when the super-advanced group got rowdy (they don't mix groups on track at same time)
  • There are control riders zooming around ready to give you tips if you want them, and to make sure no one is riding dangerously
  • Left, right, hills, no hills, it's all there. The awesomeness cannot be overstated.
Everyone should go at least once. I talking to all those "America" and cruiser riders too! You will be a better rider when the day is done. And you will remember the fun of riding (as oppossed to the videogame of surviving on the street by avoiding cars trucks pot holes oil slicks sand gravel and old ladies)

But, you know. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys , Carlos you say you have '' front springs with cartridge emulators and stiffer springs '' I have found some info on the stiffer spring rates but can you enlighten me about cartridge emulators ? Thanks Al

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cartridge emulators

Thanks for the replys , Carlos you say you have '' front springs with cartridge emulators and stiffer springs '' I have found some info on the stiffer spring rates but can you enlighten me about cartridge emulators ? Thanks Al
Hey Al,

There are a BUNCH of good threads on the race tech cartridge emulators. Here is a great one with pictures:

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/68535-cartridge-emulators-installed-pics.html

I installed mine myself :D (pats self proudly on own back) but I must have screwed up one of the seals because the one of the forks weeped fork oil (stops patting self on back). Not much, but I wasn't having it. I took it into shop and they redid that one for me.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hello
I have had to sell both my Jap sports bike to buy a 2008 FI Thruxton :). As the Thrux is now my only sports bike I was wondering if any one out there has done any track days on one . As once the sun comes back out here in Blighty ,I'll be heading for Brands Hatch .
So any pointers regarding set up or tyre choices would be most welcome as I don't want to let the side down and be any slower then nessecery as I'll be the only Triumph twin out there.
I gave my Thruxton an airing in the fast group at Brands Hatch GP Circuit last summer, but not before buying a second set of rims and fitting Avon AM22/23 race tyres.
There is no way I would ride on the standard Metzlers. I've also fitted Ikon rear suspension, which is a significant improvement on the stock units. The 6-pot front brake caliper with Bendix race pads and Prolite race spec. disc was all the braking power I needed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rob
Your Thrux looks the dogs. I did think of getting another set of wheels but thought they might be a bit expensive . Did you get yours from a breaker ? There is a front wheel on ebay for £100 ,what do you think ? I was also looking at either Ikon , Hagon or a set of 2nd hand ZRX1200 to save a few quid as I've only just bought the bike. Have you std forks ? As every one on the site seems to go for the cartridge emulators and stiffer springs or chuck a set of 10 year old CBR ones in. Not too keen on the last option as I have only just sold two perfectly good Hondas.
Cheers
Al

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hi Rob
Your Thrux looks the dogs. I did think of getting another set of wheels but thought they might be a bit expensive . Did you get yours from a breaker ? There is a front wheel on ebay for £100 ,what do you think ? I was also looking at either Ikon , Hagon or a set of 2nd hand ZRX1200 to save a few quid as I've only just bought the bike. Have you std forks ? As every one on the site seems to go for the cartridge emulators and stiffer springs or chuck a set of 10 year old CBR ones in. Not too keen on the last option as I have only just sold two perfectly good Hondas.
Cheers
Al
About "stiffer springs": this is because the stock set-up is to soft for most people. Stiffer springs are only really neccessary for people that are heavier than approx 65-70 kgs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts