Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I'm tempted to head to a local cart course, but the temps are only suppose reach ~50F with sunny skies, is this a good idea or should I wait til next season when the temps are up a bit?

I don't plan on dragging any knees, I really dont plan to ride any harder than I do on the street, but just want to ride in a controlled environment without worries of Johnny Law.

I have full leathers, boots, gloves, etc. so gear really isn't in question, but does anyone have any advice in general for a newb going to the track?

Also, I am running Conti Road Attacks, and I know most people suggest dropping the pressure a bit for the track, especially a cold track, but I figured I'd start with what I run on the street, and work my way down in increments. Does anyone have any experiece with these tires (tyres) that could give me a few guidlines. FWIW I'm ~170-175 lbs with gear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
With the temp in the 50s but with the sun that should help get the pavement temp up a bit. I would be concerned with such a tight track that some cart tracks are, it might be tough to get much heat in the tires. As long as you take it incrementally you should be ok, take a few semi aggressive laps and see if your tire temps have come up much, ride accordingly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plan is also to ride to the track, which is a 40 minute ride @ 75 mph, so the tires should be warmed up a bit.

I'll take it easy for a few laps to get a feel for the track, maybe chat with a few of the racer boys that will be there, I plan on being there for a decent chunk of the day, so I'll have plenty of time to get acclimated.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
What track is that? NJ motorsports park? What's the cost? Sounds like fun!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops, I guess I should update my residence. I am in Colorado now, there is a small track called IMI just north of Denver.

I wanted to hit up the Motorsports Park at the end of the summer before I move to CO, but all the days seemed reserved for schools and whatnot.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you have tire warmers, use them. Tires cool down pretty fast. Between the time you get there and you start riding, the tires will be cold, plus the time between each session your tires will be cold. if you can't do that, then take it easy on the first lap or two to ensure your tires warm up enough before you try to push anything.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Running on the track

Just finished my first track day, the instructors advised us to use a starting cold tire pressure of 30 psi front and rear and measure the temperature immediately after your run to see the increase. Should be 3-5 psi rise if your tires came up to temp. Also, measure the cold psi at least a few more times during the day as the ambient temperature increases, which should increase the cold psi. Your tires will cool quickly after your session while you wait for the next one, but wait to just before the start of your next session to measure for a new cold psi to get the most accurate reading.

Take the first 3 laps to warm your tires, your body and your mind (about 60%-75% max speed and lean) then go fast. Everyone at the track is usually very friendly but may not have much experience with Triumph equipment. On my ST I found I could outrun the Jap bikes in my class but my bike required alot of body english to transition, requiring commitment and, faith in the tires (I have the stock BT's)

The bike handles well, the tires at non race speeds is more than us amateurs can exploit. Have fun at the track:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although I never thought it was that big, the sprint is huge compared to the jap 600's. I rode my roomates kawi 636 and it needs so much less body force to throw around, and side by side in the garage, the kawi looks like sprints baby brother...

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey OUTLAWD I’ve ridden that track on my RS back in 01. It is very tight; I would only get out of first on the back strait. When I was doing tack days back when I lived on the Front Range I would run my tires at about 32 front and rear. IMI is quite grippy so I don’t think the temps will be a problem sport orientated street tire. I was never able to drag a knee there, it's like doing a lot high speed U-Turns, but it is fun. Plus the best part is when a 12 year old girl drifts around you on the out side in her 80cc shifter cart!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Conti Road Attacks use Zero-degree high impact steel belt construction. That means you cannot use general experience with other type of tires during track day.
As you described your riding style I suggest you keep suggested 36/42 pressure as this tire will just get worse using lower pressure.
This was also confirmed by tire test of Contiforce Max that use the same technology - you can find the test here

Also those tires were tested by UK's Bike Magazine with those pressures without any issues. If you insist I can try to find this older issue to justify my statement here ;)

Cheers, Rudolf.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Rudy is correct about Conti's prefering higher pressures.

This is quite unusual as most tyres work better considerably lower but not Conti's.

This fact is covered in the tyre sticky in the maintenance and tips sub forum.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts