Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

My copy of the Haynes book arrived from Amazon, and I got a bit of a dissapointment; it doesn't cover MY model, the TR7RV.

The bike's electrical system has been diddled with somewhat; it was converted to use a gizmo called a Mity Max, replacing the battery. I intend to restore the system to it's original configuration... complete WITH a battery!

Much to my surprise, I discovered that the Haynes book doesn't have a wiring diagram that exactly matches this system.

Does anyone know of an online source of the original schematic, or know of a book that contains it?

THANKS in advance from a Newbie restorer!

Mr. T.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
T140/TR7 use the same wiring diagram as they share the same loom. The only difference other than trim and color between a 73 T140/TR7 is the clyinder head and number/jetting of the carb/carbs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T140/TR7 use the same wiring diagram as they share the same loom. The only difference other than trim and color between a 73 T140/TR7 is the clyinder head and number/jetting of the carb/carbs
Thanks for the information!

One other minor difference; TR7RV does not have an ammeter like a 140.

Mr. T.

·
Registered
32 Posts
'73 Tr7rv

I bought the DVD from Kim the CD man, it supposedly has the workshop manual and the parts book for the '73 Tiger. If you want to look at this, you can email me at [email protected]. I am near New Glarus, and work in Middleton, so we should be able to work something out, if you are interested. The DVD has lots of stuff, like gas tank repair, but that's being taken care of, ain't it?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
T140 did not have an ammeter. Last bikes to have an ammeter were built as '70 models.
Starting in '71 headlamp only contained a switch and 3 'warning lites' red&green as in '70 and amber for the turnsignals. 71/2 used one headlamp style(flatback). That was changed in '73 and the headlamp reverted back to the earlier style but without an ammeter. That same headlamp was used up until the Silver Jubilee model when the reflector was changed and the bulb was changed to a Lucas #410. In '79 the headlamp was again changed as the warning lites were in the "console" ala T160 between the gauges . The shell topside had no holes and was chrome plated. In I believe 81 or 82 the shell was changed to Black.
'73 T140/TR7 used the same parts manual part #99-0980 and they used the same Factory Parts Manual #99-0983.
Perhaps you two wisc guys could meet in Verona. Sharer Cycle handles parts for the old bikes. Lyle,Kim,and Nathan are real good people and its smart to support your local dealer (as long as he isnt selling on Fleabay Chicago).

Course that's just my pinion

K

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T140 did not have an ammeter. Last bikes to have an ammeter were built as '70 models.
Starting in '71 headlamp only contained a switch and 3 'warning lites' red&green as in '70 and amber for the turnsignals. 71/2 used one headlamp style(flatback). That was changed in '73 and the headlamp reverted back to the earlier style but without an ammeter. That same headlamp was used up until the Silver Jubilee model when the reflector was changed and the bulb was changed to a Lucas #410. In '79 the headlamp was again changed as the warning lites were in the "console" ala T160 between the gauges . The shell topside had no holes and was chrome plated. In I believe 81 or 82 the shell was changed to Black.
'73 T140/TR7 used the same parts manual part #99-0980 and they used the same Factory Parts Manual #99-0983.
Perhaps you two wisc guys could meet in Verona. Sharer Cycle handles parts for the old bikes. Lyle,Kim,and Nathan are real good people and its smart to support your local dealer (as long as he isnt selling on Fleabay Chicago).

K
Ah.... I see.

If that's the case, the Haynes manual I have has a schematic mislabeled; they're showing a T140 WITH an ammeter!

Re. parts manuals; I got lucky today and found a link where they can be downloaded in .pdf format:

http://www.mapcycle.com/techitems.asp?Cc=techtripb&iTpStatus=&Tp=&Bc

Being at work today, I availed myself of the handy laser printer. :) Once at home, my comb binding machine will once again be put to good use, making up a VERY useful and neccessary bit of documentation in manual form.

I agree... it IS smart to support local businesses. On this deal I intend to do so as much as possible. If you don't support local dealers, pretty soon there won't be any! :eek:

Mr. T.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the DVD from Kim the CD man, it supposedly has the workshop manual and the parts book for the '73 Tiger. If you want to look at this, you can email me at [email protected]. I am near New Glarus, and work in Middleton, so we should be able to work something out, if you are interested. The DVD has lots of stuff, like gas tank repair, but that's being taken care of, ain't it?

THANK YOU for your generous offer! I may well be taking you up on it, especially if I wind up getting into deeper doodoo than I intended!

I'd LIKE to say that I'll have the Tiger in shape for the autumn Slimey Crud Run, but that may well be unrealistic.

In case I don't... just look for the crazy dude riding the black Russian hack rig! :D

Mr. T.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, KADUTZ

I agree about supporting local businesses, and Sharer Cycle in particular. I have never bought any big ticket stuff, but they are willing to give advice and are good folks for sure. The restored bikes they have will make you drool. The new ones are pretty fine, too, and they have some gently used later models. Fun place to visit.

K

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the wiring diagram from the OEM Shop Manual for your bike.
regards,
Rob

Howdy Rob!

MANY THANKS! This one seems to be it; the diddling with the electrical system done by the previous owner is clearly apparent now, and can be corrected! :)

Tom / Mr. T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts