Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 73 TR5T that I have rebuilt the head.
New Valves, Tapets, Tapet guides Push rods, Pistons and rings, bored and honed cylinders, Boyer electronic ignition and re jetted the carburetor.

The bike comes to life on the first kick and idles great. When I ride it around town it has lots of power and halls ass. But when I'm in fourth with a constant throttle setting for over two to three minuets the engine stops and will come back but sputtering and cut out . I can stop and the engine will go back to idling like champ, get back on the road and two or three minuets later same problem. I have made sure that the stater wires are no where nere the ignition wires so not to cause RF problems with the Boyer ignition. I don't think it is an ignition problem because i had the same problem with brand new points and it doesn't sound like a loos wire grounding out. My only guess is fuel starvation or it may be the master timing. If you have any ideas let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try cracking the gas cap as soon as the rain stops. I've checked the coils but even Boyer sad the brand new coils can be bad. A carb rebuild is in the back of my head too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts