Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to rebuild the rear wheel of my TR-65 and am trying to establish the spoke /rim specifications, before taking the bike off the road, to ensure that this is for as short a time as possible.

The workshop manual that includes data for the TR-65 seems to give spoke lengths that relate to the 750, as they are too short for the TR-65 ( despite stating that this is for all spoked wheels ).

I have worked out that:
The rim is WM3 x18.
There are 40 spokes with 10 inner Left hand H , 10 outer left hand and 20 inner and outer right hand side.
The spokes are set in clusters of 4 on the rim.
The spokes are approx 200mm (measured from hub to rim)
Until I have the wheel off the bike and removed the sprocket and drum I am unable to measure the offset.

Is there anyone who has had the rear wheel rebuilt on a TR-65 who knows the spoke lengths, the neck angles and any additional rim specifications?

I have attached a couple of jpegs

Big thanks for any help
TR-65

Attachments

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I have to admit that I never heard of a TR65 until you posted. I had to look it up.

Buchanan's does not list the model or year as one of their pre-packaged kits. My best suggestion would be to check the British Only site and see if they list the spokes by part number. They often provide the specs for many parts.

If you are planning on having the spokes made locally, then just give them the spokes and let them duplicate them. If you looking to order complete sets, then just check the various vendors to see if they have them.

You could send sample spokes to Buchanan's and tell them how many of each you need and they will make them for you. Saves you from any errors on your part measuring distances and angles.

Looking at your pics, I have to ask why you are tearing the wheel apart. It looks pretty nice to me.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TR-65 rear wheel

Thanks for the reply Rob

I use the bike as daily transport and was trying to avoid breaking the wheel down before having the replacement spokes, nipples and rim to hand.
I have attached a jpeg of the front wheel which I replaced, this is the same vintage as the rear .
The inside of the rear rim and the metal under the chrome is in better condition than this, but not brilliant and the recent loosening of a few spokes coupled with a rim that no longer runs true makes me think it is time to replace the rear rim and spokes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
does the parts book shed any light? Is there a part number for the entire wheel?

I wonder if it isn't just a 750 rear wheel, as Triumph were short on everything and it would have made sense.

I still can't help with wheel build details, but 750 knowledge is more common.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Bacon's book lists the various features of all the models. I was thinking the same as you Dave when I initially noticed that it was an early 80's model. But then the features listed rear drum brake.

That is one ugly rim, TR. I can see why you would want to replace it.

You might want to contact Buchanan's and see if they have the specs for those spokes. They just might. Very nice folks to deal with. They might be able to make your spokes without having examples to copy. They might also be able to tell you exactly how to measure them so they can make them. Hardest part will probably be the angle.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
312 Posts
37-7192 is the whole wheel for a TR65 so it isn't the same as a 750?

http://bigdcycle.com/book project/650 UNIT TWINS/1981-1982 650 parts/index.html

OOPs!

I knew that originally the TR65 had a drum, so why I thought it'd be a 750 wheel, lord knows

any use?
http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/129295-thunderbird-1982-rear-wheel-offset-urgent.html
The first link to the TR65S Tiger 650 is interesting because there was no such model !

I too have the same replacement parts manual in paper form . I've always wondered whether it was an army model for export because of the single paintwork option of bronze-green ?

True , there were a couple of TR65S electric-starting Thunderbirds (one went around the world with Richard & Mopsa English) and certainly there was a rear disc-braked TR65 prototype and a few 650cc Tiger (Trail)s but no rear disc-braked 650cc electric starting Tigers !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear wheel specifications for TR-65

Looks as if removing the wheel and taking measurements might be the course of action.

Brickwood wheel builders in the UK have never heard of the TR-65 but can rebuild the wheel if it is provided intact for them to measure.

However they left me slightly confused as they referred to the Triumph hub requiring straight spokes, whereas the front and rear hubs on my old 750 and the TR seem to have butted spokes with approx 80 degree angles in the neck.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
It depends where you are, but Central Wheels have done my wheels in the past ( stainless rims and spokes on a T140 and Tatty Cub - one more TC to follow)

I spoke to Warren, and he knew the correct pattern so sent just my home polished hubs, but they do offer (for extra) a while you wait service that I assume doesn't include powdercoat or polishing

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Looks as if removing the wheel and taking measurements might be the course of action.

Brickwood wheel builders in the UK have never heard of the TR-65 but can rebuild the wheel if it is provided intact for them to measure.

However they left me slightly confused as they referred to the Triumph hub requiring straight spokes, whereas the front and rear hubs on my old 750 and the TR seem to have butted spokes with approx 80 degree angles in the neck.
They might be thinking you have an older model. Early front drum hubs used butted spokes. If you said drum and T-bird it might have jogged the wrong memory switch on their part. I imagine shops get all kinds of crazy questions every day with folks looking for free help. Gotta have an effect on how much they listen and think before they respond.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TR-65 Rear wheel spec

Unfortunately central wheels have a 5 week wait and are currently not doing the drop in service.
I used them for the front wheel, popping into the National MC Museum for breakfast and to look at the bikes there, before picking the wheel up early afternoon from Central Wheels.

Brickwood had not heard of the TR-65.
I went through the details about it being an 80s model with a 750 hub that is essentially missing the centre spacing piece.
To be fair they did say if I dropped the wheel in this week they could measure and fit to an 18" rim they had to get it back to me by Mid May.
They would need the wheel in order to ascertain just how to pierce the rim to get the spoke exit trajectories correct.

I have placed an order with central wheels for stainless rim and spokes with brass nickel plated nipples (fingers crossed that they are able to supply the correct spokes and rim). I have a guy who lives less than a mile from me who can rebuild the rim for me within 2 days .
Now just have a 3 week wait for central wheels to complete my order.
Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
offset...

Hi Mr. TR65 - maybe a lil help - workshop manual says: rear wheel rim offset 2.920" measured from the sprocket abutment face to the centre of the rim - wheel hub similiar (in dimensions, but without spacer) to 750s with spokes/discs, but another offset! - facing similiar problems at the moment, got one of these superrare drum hubs and matching swing arm for converting a TR7 with disc into drum braked version -regards from germany Christian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts