Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm sick, the bug got me, the reflectorectomy was my gateway drug, which lead to some new bars, new seat, tach kit and D9 lay-flat bracket, now I'm twitching after hitting the harder stuff - I just added the Performance Kit from Triumph Performance USA. I'm already jonesin for what's next. If only I had some scrape metal to sell for a few more bucks - lol.

I got the Dominator Sport pipes, Airbox Removal Kit and AI Elimination kit. After talking with Carlos, we determined that I should rejet with 140 mains and 42 pilots, these came with the kit as well. And since I knew I would be working on the carbs, I got the carb screw replacements as well.

Not being a mechanic I was a bit hesitant to rip into, but I am capable of turning a wrench and reading a manual. So with a bit of confidence from reading post after post on this site and after referencing all the sections that would be removed/modified in the Triumph reference manual I decided to go for it. I'm sure I took a lot longer than the average guy, but I really wanted to analyze things as they came stock, their removal process and how they go back together. I felt this was an excellent learning experience and I highly recommend to other if you haven't already done so.

Anyhow, since I know this site is all about pics, I decided to take some snaps along the way to share with the crowd. More to come once I get her washed and sunny day for an outdoor shoot.

Starting into the removal process...right side before (stock Airbox and AI still in tact)

Left side before

AI removed

Airbox removed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
part 2

continued...

Jacked and pillaged.

Some said they had troubles removing the stock airbox with getting it through the frame. I found that if I jacked it up high enough to really lower the tire/swing arm, then I was able to easily roll the airbox forward, like in a summer sault, allowing the thick part of the box to go through the wider section of the frame.

Right side after

Left side after

Full side view with Doms on

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
part 3

continued...

Close up of pipe

And the rear

140 mains, 42 pilots, thrux needle, 0 shims, 2.5 turns out on the pilot screw. The beotch sounds unbelievable. Why didn't I do this earlier? Oh yeah, money. She pulls hard. Definetely a noticable increase in power. No popping on the decel. The butt-dyno tells me its right on or at least pretty dam close. I hope to get some time and decent weather to put some real miles on before I say its complete. I also plan on doing a real dyno to make sure its sync'd as good as possible. Will post the results when I have em.

I also took some video of the stock pipes. I plan to video again with the Dom Sports for a before and after comparison. In the meantime I need to figure out how to get the video off the tape and onto YouTube. Sad to say, we have 4 years of video of our kids, but they are all stuck on those little DV tapes. I'm never short of things to learn.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
it does look good!

You should be getting a little popping on decel. If you aren't getting any popping you're too rich on the idle mix. You might try turning it in 1/4 turn each until the pop comes back, a little popping is ok.

Also, you might consider adding a shim to each needle, my bike really liked 1 shim with the same setup you have, it added some punch in the midrange. 2 shims was too much though.

Good job, nice mod-umentary!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips Jeff. I will play around with the mixture to see where it sounds/feels best. I will also give a shim a test, although I didnt get any with my ARK, so I will find some. Hopefully the local shop has some, if not I know Brent does - I wasnt even thinking when I ordered the carb screw replacement set, I should got some shims too. Anyway, is there anything special about these shims that I need to watch out for?

Anyhow, it sounds like a pretty easy job to pop them in. Thankfully I got the allen head screws, it will make it a bunch easier to pop the tops to get in there. Those stock carb screws sucked. Two of them were toast after getting them out and that was with the carbs off the bike and on a table.

Anyhow, thanks again for the tips. Its cool to learn this stuff.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
one tip:

you don't have to remove the seat/tank etc to get to the shims, just use an allen head/hex head socket to get the caps off the carbs and pull out the whole diaphragm affair with your fingers, and the needles will come out with it.

another tip:

you don't need any special shims, take your needles (or one needle) to the hardware store and find the thinnest washer that will fit the needle. That will work as good as the shims you'll get from anywhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good job on the documentation Laurence, sorry I wasn't of more help, but you were like me and dug into project right away! Glad all went well for you, happy riding:)

P.J.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks awesome!!!

Welcome to the club!

I did want to mention that while jacking the bonnie up as much as possible to drop the rear swingarm...you must be cautious that you don't damage the rear brake line...not many people see that and don't stop until it's too late...Yes, there is plenty of slack, but good stretch can damage them (at the fittings). Anyhow, Great Job!! Enjoy the new found freedom of a stronger running Bonnie and the Car Alarm Activating exhaust...Try it sometime...

Warning: I do Not support Local Bonnie Shenanagins...Ha!

·
Registered
27 Posts
hoses

Hey Bonn007 - I just installed the same kit and I think it is great so far, but I had a question.

What's the deal with the two gray hoses that come with the kit? I didn't have any instructions and I'm not sure if I need to swap them out with some hoses on the bike.

So far it runs and sounds awesome.

-j

·
Registered
47 Posts
sport vs touring

how is the sound coming out of the sports? i am looking at getting the same kit and going back and forth between the sport and touring version. some people on this site claim that the sport is too loud.

what's your take?

also how is the airbox eliminator kit? it looks much different than the ones from NB and BC.

j_

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it's a great mix. Not too loud not too quiet. I've only been out a couple times though...I'd need to give an update after a few more rides. I haven't heard the touring versions, but I'm really happy with the sports so far. I'll try to get some clips up at some point.

I thought the airbox kit was fine...easy to install and figure out with no instructions. I think they are all pretty much the same. Just a spot to put the battery and re-attach everything on the sides.

-jOe

·
Registered
47 Posts
ride

bonn007,
i like just down the 205 from you. we should get together for a ride sometime. i'd really like to hear how those dominators sound in person. you heading down to corvallis for the ovm show on sunday?

j_

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the touring version and am very happy with the tone. Wouldn't want it any louder. To the best of my recollection, the tone is pretty close to the vintage Triumphs.

how is the sound coming out of the sports? i am looking at getting the same kit and going back and forth between the sport and touring version. some people on this site claim that the sport is too loud.

what's your take?

also how is the airbox eliminator kit? it looks much different than the ones from NB and BC.

j_

·
Registered
23 Posts
gray hoses

Hey Bonn007 - I just installed the same kit and I think it is great so far, but I had a question. What's the deal with the two gray hoses that come with the kit? I didn't have any instructions and I'm not sure if I need to swap them out with some hoses on the bike.

So far it runs and sounds awesome.

-j
I just installed the TPUSA package as well. When you're done, there should be 4 "nipples" exposed -- 1 on each carb, and 1 on each intake manifold. Run one gray hose between the 2 carb nipples, and the other between the 2 manifold nipples. (No, I don't just like to say the word "nipple":Devil3:).
I talked to Carlos at SouthBay Triumph to confirm this is right -- I was baffled too. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I just installed the TPUSA package as well. When you're done, there should be 4 "nipples" exposed -- 1 on each carb, and 1 on each intake manifold. Run one gray hose between the 2 carb nipples, and the other between the 2 manifold nipples. (No, I don't just like to say the word "nipple":Devil3:).
I talked to Carlos at SouthBay Triumph to confirm this is right -- I was baffled too. Good luck.
Why oh why would anyone do this? Doesn't make any sense to me at all. I've been running with vacuum caps on all four with no problems at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts