Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not a bad price at all. I wish you had a refundable core charge for the cams though....I probably would have ordered a BB kit a long tme ago if you did.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also, the picture of this kit now shows up as "CRG Hindsight Lane Split Mirrors", under Bonneville Accessories in your online catalog.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not a bad price at all. I wish you had a refundable core charge for the cams though....I probably would have ordered a BB kit a long tme ago if you did.
Our R&D takes a bit longer than the competition.
I don't charge for core deposit, to save you and everybody money.
You went a different route with your pistons and cam kit, I imagine you must be happy with it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Our R&D takes a bit longer than the competition.
I don't charge for core deposit, to save you and everybody money.
You went a different route with your pistons and cam kit, I imagine you must be happy with it!
Carlos it doesn't cost anything if it's refunded. LOL. Not sure what R&D has to do with the core charge, but I can understand that most people might not be willing to pay the insane core charge that would be neccessary for the stock triumph parts. I could also understand that there aren't enough stock parts laying around to make this possible.

Either way, I think TPUSA has put together a real winner with this kit. It's also priced right and should sell like hot cakes. Along with some FCRs....it should be just what most folks want performance wise and can do at home by them selves.

As far as my bike...yeah, I am glad Wiseco decided to come out with those pistons when they did. It made it easy for me to put a kit together while deployed and have it all ready to be installed when I got home. Still have a little dialing in to do on the carbs, but yes I am very pleased.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Carlos it doesn't cost anything if it's refunded. LOL. Not sure what R&D has to do with the core charge, but I can understand that most people might not be willing to pay the insane core charge that would be neccessary for the stock triumph parts. I could also understand that there aren't enough stock parts laying around to make this possible.

Either way, I think TPUSA has put together a real winner with this kit. It's also priced right and should sell like hot cakes. Along with some FCRs....it should be just what most folks want performance wise and can do at home by them selves.

As far as my bike...yeah, I am glad Wiseco decided to come out with those pistons when they did. It made it easy for me to put a kit together while deployed and have it all ready to be installed when I got home. Still have a little dialing in to do on the carbs, but yes I am very pleased.
Many people are on a tight budget, if they pay core deposit they can't pay for the parts.
Glad that you are happy with your mods.
Enjoy it!

·
30,533 Posts
It's a good gain - is that 6 to 10 RWHP with stock cylinder head and carbs?

I am SORELY tempted by this.

·
30,533 Posts
Temptation level just went up tremendously. This looks like a great incremental kit - start with airbox removal (or severe gutting of airbox a la Ventura / pieman) do this kit, then carbs, then head.

Brilliant. Right - I just need to sell some junk, then I'm doing this mod. It is very good value in my opinion.

·
30,533 Posts
When you say minimal - what does that mean? I would say this is an intermediate kit. You need to know:

How to put brittle rings on a piston
How to scrape gasket surfaces clean
How to set up the camshafts, check valve clearances, change shims
How to torque cylinder head bolts properly
How to set up timing on your engine
How to compress piston rings and slide cylinders into place

This is not exclusive, but gives you an idea of what you will be facing. It's actually not that difficult - I've rebuilt a few four cylinder bike engines with no problems.

if you have a good mechanical aptitude (can tell when a bolt is tight enough without stripping it, can tell when timing marks are lined up, can understand where your valves are as you set the motor up) then I bet you can do this.

Have a read through the manual, look at the section that tells you about rebuilding the motor - that will show you in detail what's involved.

The beauty of this kit is that it is basically a top end rebuild - no separating of the crank cases. Just don't drop anything in there.

Carlos will chime in and say if I am way off on anything I am sure! :D

I am very tempted fellas - very tempted. Riding season is short in Minnesota, so maybe this is next winter project!

·
Registered
317 Posts
propforward - Thanks for the clarification - i would definitely have to say "no" to all the above. This would be one that I'd have to have an experienced mechanic do for me.

Good info, keeps me from ordering it and then saying "***?" when I open up the box!

·
30,533 Posts
Well, you can build up to it. If you don't have a manual, get one, and start looking into what is involved.

The average home mechanic can easily do this, but it is a good idea to know what is involved up front.

The Haynes will talk you through it pretty good.

Nothing wrong with getting your bike mechanic to do it for you either.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When you say minimal - what does that mean? I would say this is an intermediate kit. You need to know:

How to put brittle rings on a piston
How to scrape gasket surfaces clean
How to set up the camshafts, check valve clearances, change shims
How to torque cylinder head bolts properly
How to set up timing on your engine
How to compress piston rings and slide cylinders into place

This is not exclusive, but gives you an idea of what you will be facing. It's actually not that difficult - I've rebuilt a few four cylinder bike engines with no problems.

if you have a good mechanical aptitude (can tell when a bolt is tight enough without stripping it, can tell when timing marks are lined up, can understand where your valves are as you set the motor up) then I bet you can do this.

Have a read through the manual, look at the section that tells you about rebuilding the motor - that will show you in detail what's involved.

The beauty of this kit is that it is basically a top end rebuild - no separating of the crank cases. Just don't drop anything in there.

Carlos will chime in and say if I am way off on anything I am sure! :D

I am very tempted fellas - very tempted. Riding season is short in Minnesota, so maybe this is next winter project!
Excellent...excellent post Stuart!.
Like you said it's not a science , but it's not for somebody with minimal mechanical skills.
To ride_nekkid:
Any motor implies precise machinery,performance or catastrophe is dictated by assembly.
Like any profession the know how it's an important factor, a silencers swap can be attained by all of us, pistons and cams replacement and the associated factors has to be done by a professional mechanic if we don't have the necessary experience.
I hope these help.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.