Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating outlaying the $$$$ for the oem TPMS module and senders for my 20 mdl RS.
Love to get some feedback from others with oem setup.
Is it worth the extra money or I'm I better of with aftermarket unit and save some coin ?

One thing I've noticed about many of the aftermarket units is they also show tyre temperature. But wonder how accurate they would be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have them on my 2020 RS. It works pretty flawlessly so far and I like being able to easily check/monitor the PSi from the TFT. Keep in mind it's going to cost 2 hours of whatever your dealer charges for labor fee. For me, the labor fee was about even to the cost of the TPMS, ended up being around $500 usd total. And FYI, I have zero experience with aftermarket systems, so I can not comment on how it compares to other systems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPDATE: The TPMS earned it's worth yesterday. After work yesterday I decided to go for a ride and went up to a curvy road not too far from my home. Heading there I was on the interstate when my dash threw a notification that something was wrong with my rear tire and I should pull over. I clicked OK and monitored the psi but it wasn't changing. Watched it for a few minutes and the psi stayed the same, so I though that there was something wrong with the TPMS. I pulled over, turned the bike off, and restarted seeing if it would "reset" the system. It immediately threw the notification again. So I walked the bike and checked the rear tire to see if I had a nail/screw or something. Turns out there was a small gash in the tire that didn't go all the way through, but it was enough to slowly leak air. It was loosing 1 psi every ~5 min.

I’m kind of astonished how the TPMS was able to detect the issue instantly before the tire lost any psi. I would have been much further away from home before realizing something was wrong. Luckily I was able to baby it and get back home without anymore issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update #2: I lowered the PSI to 38 because 42 felt like too much, and now the TPMS is throwing constant warning notifications. It's really fucking annoying. Going to contact my dealer to see if they can calibrate it for lower PSI. It's going to be frustrating if they can't. And what happens if you change tires to a set that recommends lower PSI? It'll be a shame if there's no way to adjust it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I added these to my 2018 RS.

They actually seem to work pretty well and you can set the alarm threshold. But you get what you pay for and there are a few annoyances:

1. There is a locking nut that secures the cap to the valve stem. It's a bit of a hassle to undo the locking nut when you need to adjust the air pressure.
2. The display mount was a bit big and clunky and didn't have a good place to mount on the handlebar. So, I run the display in the celphone window in my tank bag. It has a 1/4 20 thread so I might play with some other mounting options.
3. This isn't an annoyance but just a fact on how these work. The pressure sensor is in the cap so, the valve stem is open all the time. I've had no leakage issues but it's not an ideal solution.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Update #2: I lowered the PSI to 38 because 42 felt like too much, and now the TPMS is throwing constant warning notifications. It's really fucking annoying. Going to contact my dealer to see if they can calibrate it for lower PSI. It's going to be frustrating if they can't. And what happens if you change tires to a set that recommends lower PSI? It'll be a shame if there's no way to adjust it.
Can you not just reset the TPMS via the menus after adjusting the pressures the way you would on a car? They're pretty pointless otherwise, as most people tinker with the pressures to suit their preference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you not just reset the TPMS via the menus after adjusting the pressures the way you would on a car? They're pretty pointless otherwise, as most people tinker with the pressures to suit their preference.
No, you can't. There are zero setting for the TPMS. It's just going to throw up notifications whenever it thinks something is wrong. And it doesn't like when your rear tire is below 40psi. So if you want to run the rear below 40, which a lot of folks on this sub seem to do, then the system becomes obnoxious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts