Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, so I don't own a car, but I have a boat license. I also don't have a drive way, but I do have plenty of space behind my house. The issue with the space behind the house is it is only accessible by a narrow alleyway , no problem for rising my bike up, but no space for a car.

The challenge:. Next summer I'd like to get a boat and go out on the lake. So I need a boat I can tow behind my Bonneville but also one I can get up the alley way.

My thinking is something light, so probably fibreglass, that 2 people could carry up and down the alley way on its side. Powered by a removable outboard motor. Probably 9.9HP. Then I'd need to fabricate some custom trailer to transport it to the lake. Lightness will be the key here. I'm thinking perhaps just an axle I can attach to the boat and a rod to attach it to my Bonneville.

Has anyone ever seen such a device or have any suggestions to get me started in the designs?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
No comment on towing a boat behind a motorcycle.

As far as getting it behind the house, I've seen people get creative with PVC pipe (the thick kind), PVC fittings, wagon wheels, carpet scraps, etc to make dollies to haul small boats short distances by hand.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
In Australia you can tow a trailer behind a bike but the towing hitch must comform to the rules, must be rated and also swivel for leaning, the bike must have the tow point down low in line with rear axle, my mate had a special trailer for his race bike that he towed with his old Shovel Head Harley to race meets and where ever he went he drew a big crowd it was a sight to see, also see a lot of bikes traveling with small camp trailers behind them, there is also a place up the coast from me that make motorcycle trailers of all different sizes and shapes.
So you can't just rig up any sort of hitch they must comply to the rules for motorcycle towing, if you put a hitch on it and it didn't comply to the rules and something happened you be in big sh.t over it, they also must have safety chains incase the hitch fails but this applies to all trailers, safety of other road users is very important.

Ashley

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
Yes. Can you imagine braking it/that/them?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Might need trainer wheels to keep it upright, be a bit top heavy :grin2:.
I was thinking wheelie bars. How does the front wheel carry enough weight to steer or even track straight.

A 5 mph crosswind would be deadly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Although canoeing is my other favourite pastime, I would never attempt this.......
Yes, I suspect it photoshopped to death, I remember seeing it some years back & it made me laugh.
I don''t think towing a boat with a bike would be allowed here in the uk, but who knows???
Ste

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don''t think towing a boat with a bike would be allowed here in the uk, but who knows???
It might be if the boat were small enough.

From https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-motorcycle

• You can use motorbikes with an engine size of 125cc or more to tow small trailers.
  • Your motorbike has to be clearly and permanently marked with its ‘kerbside weight’.
  • The trailer must be no more than 1 metre wide and must be clearly and permanently marked with its unladen weight.
  • When the trailer is loaded it must weigh no more than 150 kilograms or 2/3 of the kerbside weight of the motorbike - whichever is lighter.
  • When hitched, the distance between the end of the trailer and the rear axle of the motorbike must be no more than 2.5 metres.
So you could possibly tow a very short, narrow boat legally in the UK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts