Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has some recommendations for luggage with a passenger. I plan on taking some 8+ hour trips this season, and I would rather not have her wear a backpack the whole time.

Thanks
-Rob

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
+1.

I wouldn`t call them expensive, maybe they are cheaper over here because they are made in NZ? They look like cr4p but work very well and it`s only a 10 min job to fit or completely remove them. Anything up to 5 days on the road and I just take a small rucksack and tailpack, anything longer and I bolt the ventura on. My wife rides as well, so I`ve never carried a pillion on the S3 but I understand Venturas are good, if you are 2-up.

This is an old pic, taken about 2 yrs ago on a 2 week tour, back when the wife had an S4R, before she bought a Triumph. I have the rack fitted in reverse, so a lot of the weight is held by the pillion seat but you can rotate the Ventura rack 180 deg, so it hangs rearward, to carry a pillion.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well £240ish over in the UK. (l brackets, pack rack and the 51 liter bag)
So quite expensive really but it would be worth it if you carry alot of stuff.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Buy Motopak

Didn't take any pics last year but I purchased the MotoPak 90 Liter soft bags for a 3 day camping trip last year. Cost me $130 on ebay (new) and held blanket, pillow, 4 changes of clothes, 2 books, shoes, and a six pack with room to spare.

·
Registered
361 Posts
not worried about snapping your subframe? Sure, I'd love a top case, too, but the weight limit on that SW Motec rack is 10 lbs or so. ...and it has happened.

I guess if your touring with a passenger the best bet would be the ventura with cortech saddle bags (hopefully you have a lowmount exhaust...or you could make support brackets to keep the bags off the mufflers).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Most racks have a weight limit of about 5 kg or so.
They can support more but its the manufacturer covering their asses if they break due to "excessive load".

I only know of one case were the sw-motech rack broke the subframe and the owner fixed it by reinforcing the weld in a certain place.

Both are going to cost about the same in the end but it depends what you need and which is more convenient for you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
not worried about snapping your subframe? Sure, I'd love a top case, too, but the weight limit on that SW Motec rack is 10 lbs or so. ...and it has happened.

I guess if your touring with a passenger the best bet would be the ventura with cortech saddle bags (hopefully you have a lowmount exhaust...or you could make support brackets to keep the bags off the mufflers).
I can believe that they break, but it is attached to the same subframe that your passenger sits on. Id figure the bracket would break before the subframe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use Nelson Rigg throw overs and tank bag. Not sure how they would hang on a newer S3 but they hold a fair amount of stuff. I think I paid $250ish for the saddle bags and the tank bag.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Touring on Speed Triple

Here is a couple of photos taken on the two week tour to Sardegna (Italy)
We were 2up, had my girlfrend on the back seat. She is not big though! ;)

I'we used:
- Ventura SPORT rack supported with triumph pasanger grab rail, to spread as much weight as possible on different spots. (there was up to 15 kg of gear strapped to the rack)

- water proof rollbag
- Kriega 20 and Kriega 10 bags (strapped on top of the rollbag)
- Triumph original tank bag.

Had no problems with the bike handling, which was rather good regarding how much we have put on the bike.

regards,
D.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
How'd you mount it? Did you sling it over or under the seat? Did you support the saddlebags somehow on the side or just leave them hanging? Thanks.

Didn't take any pics last year but I purchased the MotoPak 90 Liter soft bags for a 3 day camping trip last year. Cost me $130 on ebay (new) and held blanket, pillow, 4 changes of clothes, 2 books, shoes, and a six pack with room to spare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Touring S3

I have a 2005 S3 that I have used for touring for a week plus on.
First I have been using the bags connection tank bags for a few years now and I would recomend them. Easy removal for fueling and they hold a ton without touching the tank. The largest one that fits the S3 well is the Engage Sport (link one).
For additional touring I also added the SW Motech rack (link two) with a Givi Monolock E370 top box (link three).
I put anything heavy in the tank bag and the lighter bits like clothing etc in the Givi.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2130/451/
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4585/243/
http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=29509

Tip: take the stock Givi mount (SW rack comes with one too) that comes with it and put it on the wall or the ceiling of your garage, basement etc so your can hang your Givi up and keep it safe and scratch free.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oxford sports soft panniers - they're smaller but you'll be surprised what you can get in them, and your passenger will still sit comfortably on the bike. Also, if you have a luggage rack, you can get big square tailpacks which we use for a double douvet and a blanket (sleeping bags are not very intimate ;). Also, the Baglux tankbags are great. They expand so you can fit all the stuff you need on the day, money, map, **** etc, I also put my toiletries in mine. On the pic below, you can just about see the tailpack on Dave's red fireblade and his Oxford panniers. He's got other stuff on the pillion seat too (it was a 2 week holiday!)

Incidentally, with tank bags it's worth bearing in mind that some have magnetic pads which won't work on the plastic coated Triumph tanks! Baglux do coloured tank covers which have fixings to clip your bag onto. Genius!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I put Wolfman Bags on my S3 and the factory luggage rack which was OK when my kid was 8 but now he's bigger. So I got a Tiger for two-up long haul riding but he still thinks the S3 is way cooler... allbeit, a pain in the butt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts