Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What manufacturer makes a good touring tire? I"m not interested or capable of going through corners on the street as if I were on a race track. I enjoy riding the twisties but I don't enjoy burning my tires up in 7,000 miles. I originally asked this question on the wrong forum and the response was as if I shot the pope. Brake pads also are a issue. Are there a better options for people that just like to ride and don't ride like we are in the Motor GP? Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same bike, same year and the original tires. 6k and the front is almost gone. Original Bridgestone rubber. Seven years old. Have not decided on replacement brand. Leaning towards better traction vs. milage. I try to ride year round and cold and rain make me want a softer tire. Thinking Michelin Pilot Road's, Dunlop Roadsmart's, or Bridgestone BT021's. Just a thought. Planing to be in Indy for the GP race this year.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bike tires are made of a much softer compound than other tires. They have to be to maintain grip on the turns. Softer compound less mileage. 7k is about average. Don't expect 10k. That's the cost of riding.
Carry on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I`m using the Dunlop roadsmarts and they give excellent in both the dry and wet plus having done a lot of research then they`re supposed to give very good mileage as well. 5 stars in most tests.

Cheers, Matt :cool:

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Joe,

I put about 16K (16,000) miles on my last set of Metzeler ME880's. Running 39psi Front / 41 psi Rear. Checking the pressure weekly.

I do commuting and some sport riding on them 80%/20% , they're excellent in the rain and slick roads (winter). Very confidence inspiring for spirited riding as well on dry roads.

For brake pads, I run stock pads in the rear they last about 8K miles, I use EBC's FA188HH on the front with Busa 6 pot calipers. I haven't worn a set out yet.

YMMV,
Andrew

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

I have the same bike, same year and the original tires. 6k and the front is almost gone. Original Bridgestone rubber. Seven years old. Have not decided on replacement brand. Leaning towards better traction vs. milage. I try to ride year round and cold and rain make me want a softer tire. Thinking Michelin Pilot Road's, Dunlop Roadsmart's, or Bridgestone BT021's. Just a thought. Planing to be in Indy for the GP race this year.
The Indy Rats have a block of seats on the south end of the track. You can see the first 3 turns really well. Several people answered and I appreciate it. I might look at the Metzler 880 for the front and Ebc pads. I like to ride but I also like to stretch a dollar. Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts