Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title says it all. i'm going for a week long trip from victoria to nsw australia just camping alone where ever i find a spot. i want to take a small toolkit that will be right for fixing bits and pieces on my streety if i need to.

Any recommendations?

asaf

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I would take a multi-tool type kit with Allen Keys and pliers. A small adjustable wrench. Multi head screwdriver. Puncture repair kit or inflator stuff. Roll of insultating tape/Gaffer Tape. A few cable ties (good ones not the usually garden variety). Small can of chain lube.

Work on the principle that you might get a puncture, something will probably work loose, you might loose a bolt, you might drop your bike and have to tape something back together. Thats about it really for the usual stuff. If you are away from civilisation then you might think about snapped chains, blown hoses/holed radiators, but it's more about preperation and being careful than anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
There's not a lot of repair that you'll be able to do on the roadside with this bike; anything involving wheel removal, for instance, is pretty much out of the question in the absence of a stand. The 5mm Allen key will let you remove or tighten nearly everything on the machine that is roadside-serviceable, but if you want some extra confidence, prepare a toolkit such as Thirdway suggested. It'll get you through almost anything. And for what it doesn't handle, a credit card and a mobile phone should also be deemed essential "tools" for touring purposes. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im planing to do the same later on. Would be interesting to see some pics of how you've packed all your stuff on the bike. Some pics might help. By the way take care. Its the silly season

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
There's not a lot of repair that you'll be able to do on the roadside with this bike; anything involving wheel removal, for instance, is pretty much out of the question in the absence of a stand. :)
I have seen people and helped people remove wheels by laying their riding gear on the ground and then resting the bike on the gear on it's side. You can then change front or rear or both without issue. I would definitely pack tools to remove the wheels.

Also a simple one legged axle stand on the opposite of the side stand will typically hold the rear wheel off the ground and also make it possible to easily lube the chain. These are available from places like Aerostitch.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Quick-Stand-p-16846.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also a simple one legged axle stand on the opposite of the side stand will typically hold the rear wheel off the ground and also make it possible to easily lube the chain. These are available from places like Aerostitch.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Quick-Stand-p-16846.html
I made my own from leftover grey plastic (PVC?) pipe. Put a notch at the top for the 'bobbin', and angled the base. I use a velcro strap on the front brake to make sure the bike doesn't move. Setup works well, but the above Quick-Stand would be smaller.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My tool kit:
Metric allen key set
Adjustable wrench (note the jaw type)
air gauge
screwdriver with multi-bits

These items go in my tail or tank bag on long day trips that lead me out in the middle of no-where:
tire plugs (rope type) and awe (not shown)
slime pump (not shown)

All tools shown fit behind the battery.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
366 Posts
Zip ties, tire plugs, CO2 cartridges to inflate tires, multitool, and duct tape for everything else.
+1. The mulit-tool, electical tape, and "solitare" mag light gets stored under the seat always, and the Zip ties, "stop-n-go" tire repair (with co2) gets packed only when using a bag (too big to fit on bike).
I never even checked...does this bike have "spare" fuses (like cars do)? If not, I'll have to toss some of them in as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts