Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how you folks are finding the Thruxton on longer rides, say a full day or 300+ miles. I've only owned one naked bike in my life and it only took me to work and back in the 1990's. I didn't start doing overnights and longer trips until recently (which the Hayabusa eats up) but now that I'm considering a Thruxton as my regular ride, it would have to step into the Busa's enormous shoes.

Love to hear your thoughts/experiences. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The thruxton is not a touring bike. Having said that I've done plenty of 300 mile days but that's trailering to a ride destination or an all day ride from the house and back. The bike is not meant for luggage of any kind, even a tank bag makes it look like a burlap sack on Kate Bekinsale.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You have to work up to it on the Thruxton. First thing is, plan your gas stops. You probably don't want to go any further than 100-110 miles between fill-ups (you'll be ready to be off the bike by then anyways). You can push it further if you really NEED to, but better safe than pushing.

Get a set of throw-over bags. I use the Cortech sport bags and they do nicely. A few have said they can mount the rear seat cowl, over the bags, but I haven't had much success with it. I use a micro-fiber cloth as a buffer between the bags and the cowl.

I have done plenty of 300-mile days, and up to 600. It's not easy, but it can be done. As ThruxtonBill pointed out, as soon as you get to where you are going, get the bags off!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The best and worse thing about the Thruxton and touring is the size of the gas tank. On one hand having to gas up every 180-200kms gives you and your riding buddies a chance to stretch your legs. On the other, you have to plan where you are going and make sure there are gas stops at the necessary spots. What this means to me is usually having to get gas more often than necessary. And not being too confident in going off my planned route.

I run a 17t front sprocket and predators, so hearing protection is a must! Sure makes passing and getting up to fun speeds more enjoyable than stock.

I did about 2400Km in 4 days this summer. Used a set of throw-over bags from Nelson-Rigg and a tail bag. I'm a habitual over packer, could probably get away with less luggage since we were staying in hotels. I'd suggest a dart flyscreen, it helps with smoothing the air and creates less buffeting. I don't think I could do 600 miles in a day with out a long break somewhere in the middle.

But in all honesty the touring on the Thruxton is like using the butt of a gun to hammer in nails. It'll work, but really there have got to be better choices.

I smirk when the guys I ride with complain about how uncomfortable their bikes (Tiger 1050 and Honda ST) are on the ride. And yes, I do feel superior. :)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I am with Jayc. I ride it like anything else. I made my saddlebag mounts and for the last three years have done the same 2400-2700km trip in 4 or so days. No windscreen. Face in the wind, life is better there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have done plenty of touring on my thruxton. i personally love it. you do have to make frequent gas stops but its not that bad. good excuse to stop and stretch your legs. that being said i have a trip planed next week for a 1000 mile plus trip around new england. its my vacation :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
I travel with a small backpack when on trips and travel light. I stay in hotels or with friends so I don't need to camp and I can do a bit of laundry. I carry clothes for a three to seven day trip and carry shampoo and stuff in small bottles. I don't find the pack gets in the way at all even at highly illegal speeds. It does get heavy with four bottles of wine in it though but thats just a quick trip to the wine shop when I reach my destination.
I never take the wife because her luggage for an overnighter would require a van.
:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've managed 7500 miles in just over 3 months on mine - it aint like touring on my GS but fir overnights its fine

·
Registered
243 Posts
Like Chewbaca said, it isn't great as a tourer but a few 300 mile days isn't bad. The most I ever did on mine was a 4 day trip in the Ozarks and did about 300 miles per day. No gel seat or anything and my ass was hurting after 250 miles. After a few days my body was hating that bike. I am 6'3" so it may not be so bad for shorter people.

I used some Cortech throw over bags and it was fine. Easy to take off.

In the end, I ended up giving up the comfort side of that bike and went full clip ons and single seat. I used it for what it was intended. Around town fun and a little bar hopping. I really enjoyed it more when I did that. Well that was until I bought a Speed Triple. Then I never rode the Thruxton anymore. Sorry guys. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Honestly...I don't even remember what the title of the thread was or care at this point...

But THAT VIDEO should be a "sticky" somewhere at the top of this forum and every other motorcycle forum on the web...

Awesome...just "strikes a chord" in the soul awesome!

Thanks for sharing that bluesman...

Oh...now I remember...

You can tour on ANY bike. You just have to WANT TO BAD ENOUGH. Otherwise, just go buy a Sprint or a Trophy....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've done 600 mile days on a stock Thruxton seat. Just stop frequently and enjoy the ride. I wear headphones... I know you're not really supposed to but they help the monotony on the highway. I have an in-line volume control so I can always turn it down. Plus, they double as earplugs!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can we get how old some of you are that are riding on these long trips on a Thrux? Maybe that has something to do with the success rate. :) I rode cross country plenty of times when I was 18-20 on aggressive sport bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts