Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a new jacket can anybody recommend a good make. It will be used for touring europe in early May so will have to be warm and waterproof . price range between £200 and £300 sterling thanks in advance

·
Registered
286 Posts
+1 Olympia AST, wear it most of the time sub-75F and am good. Have worn it in a rain and it did pretty well, save a little leakage around the chest pockets. The neck doesn't seem large enough for a baboon like me. Otherwise, great!! I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
#1 with denoose. 19k miles in rainy seattle area since march of 07. still hasnt leaked. first gear pants are dry also. both are holding up well. would buy again. cheers, maury.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess first question is, do you want a 3/4 length jacket or waist length? Then leather or textile? Waterproof outer or inner jacket. And finally what brands do you have access to?

I would look at Rukka as my first choice if I lived in Europe. Love their gear, but a bit spendy. Then take a look at Halvarssons and Rev'It both make really good gear at respectable prices. Then you also have IXS, good stuff if they say it is waterproof it really is. And lastly what about the Triumph Sympatex line of cloths? They get good reviews over here.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 3/4 length textile jacket, excellent jacket for wide range of temperatures. Has removable liner, vents, padding, etc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just ordered a Fieldsheer Adventure Touring Jacket. I read what reviews there were, and it all seemed pretty positive. It's one you might consider also.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Halvarssons, Jofama, Lindstrands. Once separate companies but now manufactured at the same place. Swedish quality made for northen climate.

Myself I use Jofama Manific jacket and Jofama Match pants, combination of leather and textile (look under jackets/leather and pants/leather). Warm and water/windproof.
Have a look, I don't think you will be disappointed. :)

http://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear/index.php?lang=2

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just ordered a Fieldsheer Adventure Touring Jacket. I read what reviews there were, and it all seemed pretty positive. It's one you might consider also.
+1 on Fieldsheer Adventure Jacket.
Just got mine, gotta love that detachable neck warmer.
I would've tried it out already if it would stop snowing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The new for late 2008 Triumph "Action" jacket is a pretty nice cool weather 3/4" length, when you consider how inexpensive at $165 USD it is.

It's a fairly well made jacket too, not what you'd expect for the price.

Waterproof (4 hours in constant rain tested by me), good for close to freezing temps with just the liner installed, totally windproof. In colder temps, you'll need to layer a bit. I rode with it in 20f weather comfortably at highway speeds for a couple hours with a thin fleece hoodie on underneath.

Style wise, it's fairly understated but with a nice texture, and made in sizes that fit overfed Americans. Subtle "Triumph" on the left breast, a little larger one on the back, so you don't look like a mobile billboard. Actually quite wearable off the bike without attracting a lot of attention.

Comes with Knox CE elbow and shoulder pads, and a pocket for a "standard" back protector. Adjustable velcro bicep sleeve straps, velcro waist straps, zippered side expansions, velcro wrist closure. Zip-in liner included, pants connection zipper, and provision for the Triumph fleece neckwarmer (velcro on the inside of the lapels, like the Fieldsheer in the pic above).

Downsides?

Just two external (waterproof) pockets, and one internal, so you won't be able to pretend you're Ewan or Inspector Gadget. That's fine with me, I don't like to put anything by my wallet in my jacket pockets when I'm riding (everything else goes in the tank bag), so I find the amount of pockets on "adventure" jackets a bit useless.

No venting to speak of, and it's mostly black, so it's gonna get warm in the summer, even with liner out. But it's so inexpensive, you can get a nice vented/mesh summer jacket and still have change left over.

Thick necks might have some issues with the collar snaps not staying fastened, fixed with 30 seconds of plier work.

It's black and grey, with very little reflective piping, so it may not suit those who worry a lot about visibility. You can always throw a $10 dayglow vest over it though.

But as I mentioned earlier, at $165, it's a steal and does everything a good 3/4 jacket should do, if you don't need lots of pockets.

I also own a nice, pocket-laden highly visible Belstaff jacket that stays in the closet since I picked up the Action.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts