Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a used 2004 Thunderbird Sport in a motorcycle shop today and noticed that the paint was coming off a part of the engine and swing arm. Could someone tell me the easiest way for touching up these areas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think both the engine and swingarm are powder coated. I know for sure it is difficult to touch up the engine because the coating is so thick. I scratched the right side cover on my 04 TBS and have not been able to make it look right after several attempts to touch it up. If the coatings are coming off (peeling or flaking) there could be a more serious problem with the bike. Especially if the swing arm paint is coming off near the rear master cylinder. Brake fluid will destroy most paints and coatings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looked to me like the paint on the swing arm may have faded. I don't know why the paint came off the engine. The 04 TBS is actually in rougher shaope than my 2000 Legend. It may have been left outside. Thanks ofr the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
The 'paint' on the swingarm of my Thunderbird (not TBS) has also faded.
I stripped the swingarm to put new bearings & seals etc.
The swing arm is aluminium. The 'paint' is anodising (Where a very thin coloured coating is deposited on the aluminium via an electical process).
I wanted to have the swing re-anodised.
They could not do it because there are some steel threaded inserts in the swingarm.
Anodising cannot be done on ferrous metals (steel, iron etc.)
The next time I strip the swingarm, I will probably have it powder coated.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Thunder_ZA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts