Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys.

it's been about 4 months since i've shown my mug around here... that's how long it's been since the wreck. i miss my bike like a dear friend. finally got her in the shop last night and wondering what pearls of wisdom you folks have to offer, considering my situation.

a quick recap:

aug 21, '08 - as memorable as a graduation or marriage - a giant fruit truck in oncoming traffic made a left turn right in front of me, cutting me off. i smashed right into its side.

damage to bike: smashed headlight, probably warped forks, definitely warped rim, smashed voltage regulator/rectifier, battery will no longer hold a charge as a result, damaged gauge cluster, cut front brake line, smashed turning signals, smashed mirrors, scraped pipes from the fall, sticky rear brake pedal.

here are some pics: http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/metasac/smashed bonneville/

damage to me: nothing.

i didn't report it to my insurance co because they'd raise my premiums even if i'm the victim. there's no legal obligation to report it to your own ins. co. anyway. i took matters into my own hands by contacting the offending party's insurance co. directly. the guy from the enemy's insurance company is coming to take a look at it this friday at the local shop i brought it to.

i'm having the shop do it's own estimate because i expect the jackwad from the insurance co to lowball me.

i guess it's probably in my interest to have the bike declared a "total", be awarded some amount of money, use that money to purchase the wreck back from the insurance company, and use the cash to repair it, hopefully having some left over to compensate me for the reduced value of the resulting bike - a bike that is no longer perfect - one that has been "dropped".

one thing that complicates matters is new york's peculiar "comparative negligence" rule. even though a vehicle was completely in the wrong by cutting me off illegally, they assign "percentages of guilt" to the parties - so they claim that i bear at least some percentage of the fault, based upon the point of collision. i'm expecting them to suggest it was 85% their fault, 15% mine. so they'll cover 85% of the cost of repairs. or pay 85% the value of my bike to me if it's totaled.

so the other option, i guess, is to total it, part out the nice, expensive chrome bits and various other parts that are worth a few bucks - like tps, the different seats i have, spare brainbox, etc., or just sell the wreck locally or on ebay. add that to the amount i got from the insurance co and buy another bonneville.

so basically - question is - what would you guys do in my place?

thanks in advance for what are always great answers.

~m

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Bonneville's are relatively low value bikes. Total it..any aftermarket part's or accessory's you bought for the bike be certain to have receipts..and add a percentage of this value to the bike.

You'll need a salvage certificate from the state in order to collect any money for the bike. After you get the cert..and the check...cop some aftermarket part's to put it back together..and get a "R" or reconstructed title for the bike.

All you need is an inspection to get the r title cleared.

I just went through this with my HD...I had to get an attorney. I was in a wreck back in july..still nothing. Glad your ok..

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Parts for these parts are high .You might come out good parting it out yourself if you can take it a part.The motor should bring $1000. on ebay.Carbs bring $200. and so on .I guess it depends on how much they give you for it and how much you can buy it back for.I would rase hell ,you might have to get a lawyer to get what you should out of them.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm guessing your buy back % would be in the neighborhood of 30%...mine was higher for the HD..because it's an HD.

I would definitely consult an attorney...and in no way..shape..or form make the appraiser or the other insurance company aware that you are getting an attorney.

If they find out you are, you wont get anywhere with them..

Get an attorney...and be prepared for a long process

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Whoa, metasac, nasty little collision you had thre. How did you fare in the crash?
I'd buy it back and keep all the good stuff - or sell it. If you will get another Bonneville, keep it. Like mikeinva says - a lot of potential cash there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts