Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Total screw up

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vertwrks 
#1 ·
I had a simple job today, replace my chaincase with a chrome unit I purchased off a member recently. Figured aboout an hour job. Drained the oil, removed the cover with no problems. Cleaned off all old gasket, installed new gasket, case, bolted everything up, replaced oil-great! Starter wouldn't turn!
Drained oil again, removed cover, found the 3" shaft the idler gear runs on had come out of its bore in the back of the case, and the gear was jammed into the case. Managed to get it free, couldnt get shaft back in without filing out burrs in hole. Finally got gear installed properly, put case back on, starter checks Ok, put oil back in- s***t, forgot to put the gasket back. Drain oil, take case off, instal gasket, put all back together, fill with oil, realise wave washer that goes on end of idler shaft is sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. Redrain oil, take case off, install washer, refill with oil, realise I forgot seal washer on oil drain plug. Drain oil, replace washer, refill. It is now 6 hours since I started. FRom now on, dull alloy suits me fine. :mad:

#3 ·
Stu,

At my age that sounds more normal than not--maybe it's just your punishment for living where you have good riding Wx the whole year. :-D

Larry

#4 ·
Thanks, I needed a laugh, I mean sorry for your debacle. We have all had our moments like this. There are some days it is best to not crawl out of bed, then again those are the days that make a good story, at least you didn't really screw anything up, just lost time but better than sitting in a cube somewhere wishing you were riding.

Happy riding with your shining cover!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.