Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read "Total Control" by Lee Parks?

And, if not the book, has anyone taken the class?

If you have, would you recommend either?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I've had the book about 2 weeks now and am taking my time reading it. I think that's called "studying".

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've had the book for quite some time and read it numerous times. It gives some decent advice and provides you with practice drills.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you guys recommend other books like this?
What's the best one out there?

After my little crash I need to upgrade my riding skills!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I read the book and went through the class. Both are very good. Not geared so much for a new rider like the MSF classes. It's for the person with some road time that wants to go to the next level but not pro.

The class is exactly like the book. I even got hands on how to setup suspension. And, the really cool part was how to counter-steer (think thats spelled right) with only one arm and use your body. It gets you past turning with both arms and into a push left, push right rhythm. Also the class members hold you on your bike while you go through the steps of weight transfer (hang off). They lean you right down and back up so you know what dragging a knee will feel like.

Then, day two was a track day.

I could go on and on. Take the class. You won't be disappointed. Lee Parks is also offering a level 2 class now. That gets into advanced trail braking and more road race techniques. I plan on going as soon as it is offered in New Hampshire (USA).

Also, do a search on UTube for Total Control. My instructor has a crazy video of him dragging a knee with his GoldWing at the track.

Larry

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I took the course on a Harley Road King a few years ago. I was absolutely amazed at what I could do with that bike afterward. It can only be a heck of a lot better on an S3.

I have the book too. I've read only bits and pieces, but it seems to be a useful read.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
. I plan on going as soon as it is offered in New Hampshire (USA).

Also, do a search on UTube for Total Control. My instructor has a crazy video of him dragging a knee with his GoldWing at the track.

Larry
That definitely sounds cool. I just bought the book. I think I'll try the drills first and then take the class when it warms up.

I bought my bike in May and immediately took the MSF class. The class was a great help, but I still have more chicken strips on my tires than I'd like. Hopefully the TC book/class will help.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Can you guys recommend other books like this?
What's the best one out there?

After my little crash I need to upgrade my riding skills!
For street survival techniques try David L. Hough "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling"; for improving riding skills Nick Ienatsch "Sport Riding Techniques".

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
For street survival techniques try David L. Hough "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling"; for improving riding skills Nick Ienatsch "Sport Riding Techniques".
I have a lot of good to say about Sport Riding Technigues. I read that one quite a bit too.

MK003, if you are really looking to improve your skills, you do need some track time. I say this because it will give you the opportunity to work on your skills in safe environment. Living in Glendora, there are quite a few organizations here in So Cal. I would recommend Keith Code's school. A bit pricey but you get very close instruction. It will give you the confidence and competence level you need.

Another good one for practicing basic skills is C.L.A.S.S. run by Reg Pridmore. Less expensive. But there is a braking exercies that will help you improve your braking skills.

Either way, try to take some kind of school, you may even want to take different ones to find out what you like.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Total Control - Lee Parks....best one IMO
Sport Riding Techniques - Nick Ienatsch
TOTW 1 & 2 - Keith Code....If you are only gonna read one of them, read the second one.
Soft Science of Road Racing Motorcycles - Keith Code....as good as TOTW 2.
Ride Hard, Ride Smart - Pat Hahn....very street focused
Smooth Riding The Pridmore Way - Reg Pridmore....if you are an advanced rider, this book will frustrate you. Its way too basic, but reiterating the basics is important.

I have all of these and have read some of them twice. I'd say read them in the order I've posted.

And strictly for the performance junkies: Techniques of Motorcycle Road Racing - Kenny Roberts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wow, thanks for all those recommendations!
I'm actually really tempted to drop $2250 for Keith Code's 2-day course now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
MK003,

Ya ever want some company on a ride sometime - let me know. I'm in Cucamonga.

Cheers

·
Registered
453 Posts
I got the book from the local library, read the good stuff, took notes of made copies of the REALLY good stuff.
If nothing else, the book is a really good way to discern urban legends from race proven techniques. Worth the 3 nights it will take to read.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts