Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any1 experienced problems with an over-rich mixture on an '06 S3 TORS re-mapped ECU with after-market free-flow exhausts fitted (no CATS)?

I have heard that this may be the reason for my plugs distintegrating! See other thread for details Click Here

I'm considering remapping back 2 OEM settings. Whatya think guys? :???:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I ran that set up for 12 months without problem, I still use the tors map with the chain reaction exhaust. 12k miles trouble free.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
BEFORE anyone can make any kind of determination on what caused your plug issue, we need more info on the plugs - good photos of the electrodes would be nice. See my reply in your other thread.

As a side note, the stock and TORS maps are rich at idle and just off idle. Then LEAN through the midrange. The TORS map is a bit richer than the standard map at high rpm.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
I agree that both maps run a bit rich, but I(like Limey) have been running the TOR map fer a little over a year now with an aftermarket slipon, and I've had no issues. My recommendation is quit twist'n the throttle on startup, and twist it a little more while riding. :wink: :-D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Txs guys 4 the excel. advice. I really apprec. it. Your knowledge base astounds!!

The cans r freeflow custom. Do u think it is worth going back 2 the OEM seetings? Will it b leaner? There is alot of soot in the sil. end pipe -- powder deposits!

The dealer's diag tool is with Triumph 4 upgrade rght now. Back next week hopefully! If the CO2 reading is rhgt @ the can will it prove the TORS map correct?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here what happened to me and my plugs. When I still had stock exhaust it was quite hard to start cold. Like you, one day it would not start, still under 1000 miles. I got to the plugs and pulled them out. The plug boots were acually wet inside and the plugs a little rusty. When they came out, the tip was just full of fuel. No plug willl fire when it is wet like that. So I cleaned the plugs, and cleaned the rusty area. Put some never sieze on the threads and the rusty part, made sure I got the plug boots on perfect and have had not one problem since.
Now I have an aftermarket exhaust, by Two Brothers Racing. The thing runs and starts absolitely perfectly. I firmly believe that the cold enrichment is too much for the stock exhaust. Even warmed up and hot it runs fine on the stock tune. The Lamda sensor (o2 sensor) will keep the motor running in the right range, and if it gets too lean, the check engine light will come on and it will set a code. The only other thing i did was plug off the SAI.
The stock tune is perfect with an aftermarket exhaust in my opinion. Remapping has too many problems I'm very reluctant to do it. Plugging off the SAI is a good thing though, no popping at all. The SAI will not affect the actual running only your enjoyment on the bike, because you don't hear all that popping on decel with it blocked off. :cool:

·
Registered
822 Posts
OK boys I give in. What the fcuk is an SAI ?

MH

:???:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
On 2007-01-11 19:07, Matt_the_Rat wrote:
The stock tune is perfect with an aftermarket exhaust in my opinion. Remapping has too many problems I'm very reluctant to do it.
The stock and TORS mapping is VERY lean in the midrange.
The following is a link to the TuneBoy website with a dyno run of before and after tuning on a 1050 Speed Triple with aftermarket exhaust. Notice the lower blue line - air/fuel ratio is 14.8 in the midrange. This is not good.
Before and after tuning - A/F

When I started tuning my bike, it was just as bad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I'd be interested in how the new Arrow tune compares and if it is lean in the midrange also. I'd like to avoid the cost of a TuneBoy/PC if possible as I'm not good on a computer and would feel helpless.
PS I run an M4 with the TORS map. It ran OK with the stock tune and a bit better with the TOR map. Now I need to test it with the Arrrow tune.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone know whether the Arrow tune has been released by Triumph as part of their dealer diagnostic tool upgrade -- which I believe takes place every thre months or so?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2007-01-12 08:12, Devious2XS wrote:

The stock and TORS mapping is VERY lean in the midrange.
The following is a link to the TuneBoy website with a dyno run of before and after tuning on a 1050 Speed Triple with aftermarket exhaust. Notice the lower blue line - air/fuel ratio is 14.8 in the midrange. This is not good.
Before and after tuning - A/F

When I started tuning my bike, it was just as bad.
I fyou look at that map you'd notice that from 8k rpm upwards, in spite of the fuelling being pretty similar, there is an increase in power. The answer is extra ignition advance.........YEE HAAH....FREE BHP..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts