Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my America last year, it had TORs and I really like the sound.
My question is, as on the T-Bird, do America TORs come in short & long?
If so, mine end about 2" behind the axle. Are they short or long TORs?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yes, they did. The long TOR was just like/as long as the stock original muffler but without all the internal baffle bits. My old "short" slant cut style ended just before the rear axle. They did have different styles early on, tapered end and slant cut end.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is slant cut, but since I didn't have the original mufflers, I have nothing to compare it to but my aging memory of the 2006 America I sold 5 years ago. I was thinking that the stock mufflers on it went back farther than these.
So..... short or long?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Maybe the slant cut was shorter than the tapered style. Those look longer than my old "short" TORs but shorter than the original long tapered mufflers. I do have some pics from many years ago. First pic is the original before the first service and the second the short TORs after the first service.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the EFI mufflers are presumably different from my carbed 2008.
So then, anyone with a carbed model have input regarding the TORs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My carbed America TORs from World of Triumph.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, Taber. Mine are definitely long then; about 8" longer than those.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I bought the short TORs last year and they extend to the axle nut like the picture from Matty above. I've never seen the long ones, but I assumed they extend as far as the stock ones did.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So, how much louder are the TORs vs stock? I know stock is pretty tame.
I have a stock '14 America LT & The 2008 with long TORs.
The TORs are definitely louder, but in my opinion, sound very good.
I had a 2005 Speedmaster for a short while with Bubs. It was obnoxious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I actually put a DB meter on my TORS (long) vs stock — 85 dB vs 75 dB. To me, fwiw, the TORS were too loud and blatty. The stockers are like somebody said, pretty tame. They do growl a little when you hit it hard; but otherwise, pretty quiet, which for me is just fine.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
So, how much louder are the TORs vs stock? I know stock is pretty tame.
I think "louder" is very subjective, and to me my TORs are not too loud. The factory calls the mufflers "silencers" and for me they were just that - silent. The engine noise was all I heard and it sounded like it would self-destruct at any moment. With the TORs I don't hear that anymore.
Downtheroad just posted db measurements, so I assume the 75 level is the engine and at 85 the engine is suppressed by the TORs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Right on, the db measurements are 75 for the stock pipes and 85 for the TORS... I did it with an app on my iPhone, so I doubt it's scientific; it does reflect the volume difference. You're right, it's a subjective thing -- which sounds better...

To get back to the OP's question, short & long TORS. If I remember correctly a riding buddy, Friar John, had short TORS on his 03 Speedy. Sounded pretty lively!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right on, the db measurements are 75 for the stock pipes and 85 for the TORS... I did it with an app on my iPhone, so I doubt it's scientific; it does reflect the volume difference. You're right, it's a subjective thing -- which sounds better...

To get back to the OP's question, short & long TORS. If I remember correctly a riding buddy, Friar John, had short TORS on his 03 Speedy. Sounded pretty lively!
I guess mine are "short" TORs then? They came on the bike when I bought it from the original owner along with the stock silencers in a box. I don't consider them to be obnoxiously loud and I can tell you that if you are caught at a light between two Harleys you can't even hear if your Triumph is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those look the same as mine.... long TORs
The short TORs end in front of the axle.
Thanks for the info. Long TORs then,

When I rode a 66 Yamaha 305 in college (Its still in the barn waiting to be resurrected) I added some 6" long chromed plumbing pipes to the inner exhaust pipes to extend the 2 cycle exhaust past the rear wheel to keep it cleaner. It didn't make much difference in the sound or the engine's running but it did sometimes puff little smoke rings from the ends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts