Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it even possible to find these anymore?

Is there anything aftermarket that is similar in sound/quality?

Is it worth it to drill out the stock exhaust? I am broke, so this crossed my mind. I'm not sure how much work it would be.

Sorry for all the newb questions, I've been looking for hours and haven't found anything.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Calm down and take a deep breath!

You can drill the baffles out with a 7/8" hole saw with auger.

It will be better than stock, but not as good as aftermarket exhaust.

On the other hand, if you have the hole saw, it's free to do!

Drilling the baffles out should keep you happy for a little while.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have a link to a write-up on drilling out the baffles?

I just ordered the Haynes Manual, do they cover it in there?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mike,

Although he doesn't go into much detail, I get the idea. Drill straight through the main restrictor, then drill out the other two at my discretion.

Are these restrictors metal?

Where are the air screws, and which way do I turn them?

·
Read Only
296 Posts
He's only had the bike five minutes and he's at the air screws already :D

Welcome to triple fekklers anonymous ;)

BTW, that is a beautiful Legend you picked up. It'll look and sound amazing with a Thunderbike 3-1 (i'm so evil).

Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Although he doesn't go into much detail, I get the idea. Drill straight through the main restrictor, then drill out the other two at my discretion.

Are these restrictors metal?

Where are the air screws, and which way do I turn them?
The restrictors are metal I believe, tho' haven't done this job myself.

The air screws mentioned are actually pilot mixture screws which regulate fuel not air. Similar function tho' mixture wise. Turns are anti clockwise out from fully closed. They are located underneath in a kind of tube recess just forward of the float bowls. But as you are in the US, they will have sealing 'plugs' covering them. I think Jimmyj900 has some info & photos on removing them in his gallery, just carefully drill a small hole & then lever out, just a bit of thin ally. (Non US bikes don't have the plugs, we're allowed to play ;))

Mike

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I drilled my baffles with a 7/8" reduced shank drill from the engine end of the silencer.
It's real thin so it takes about 1 minute to drill each silencer.
The sound is awesome without being too loud.
Barks real nice at freeway speed when ya punch it!
Best 45 minutes I ever put into my bike.
Oh yeah, remove the silencers at the footpeg bolts not the two bolts that bolt to the silencer itself.
The nutserts are famous for dropping off inside the silencer.
At which point you're screwed like a passed out prom queen!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's only had the bike five minutes and he's at the air screws already :D

Welcome to triple fekklers anonymous ;)

BTW, that is a beautiful Legend you picked up. It'll look and sound amazing with a Thunderbike 3-1 (i'm so evil).

Wayne
Haha yeah man, you caught me. I'm new to bikes, but I've been working on cars for a few years. I was actually planning mods for the legend before I even bought it! If the Thunderbike 3-1 wasn't so expensive I'd pick one up. I'll stick with drilling for now...

Taking the pipes on/off wont be an issue right?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I ha.ve had mine off and on several times. I put never seize on the bolts the first time off, and have never had a problem. They are easier to handle cold by the way (ask me how I learned that)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once you drill through the baffles, what happens with all the shaved/drilled metal? Will it just fall out? I don't want metal shavings rattling around in there, but I haven't seen anyone mention it. I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Falls out, if there is any shavings in there I sure don't notice them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have a pair of Slashcuts for sale

Have a Pair of slashcut factory triumph muflers for sale. Gave $375 plus tax about 5 years
ago. Ran them one summer, THEY ARE LOUD!!!. Chrome is near perfect and have been
sitting in the original packing in the garage for the last 5 years. Ill take $275 for them as
they are no longer made.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.