Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been covered before but I am new here.
I am going to fit TORs when the weather gets warmer and Christmas and all that entails is out of the way, but I wondered if any one here has any advice regarding UK insurance companies and the fitment of off road silencers.
I fitted aftermarket cans before but they did have EU markings and the company weren't at all bothered.
What I would like to know is my insurance null and void if I don't tell them, null and void if I do tell them or should I fit them and change them over in the event of a claim?
Any advise gratefully received.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wouldn't bother telling your insurance company. Here in the U.S. I've never told my insurance company of any modification I've made. I would only let them know if they specifically cover modications under your policy. If not, what they don't know probably won't hurt them or you.

Maybe things are much different in the UK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I have the TORs fitted to my Thruxton. Told the insurance company and as long as its a Triumph accessory there's no increase in the premium. Insurance is with Direct Choice £170 fully comp.
You know what insurance companies are like they'll take any opportunity to get out of making a payment especially if its a performance mod.
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year :)

[ This message was edited by: TinTin on 2006-12-22 13:30 ]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
byjingo,

CYA!!!

I get my insurance via a broker, Motorcycle Direct, over the phone. Some bike insurance companies they use will not cover you if you have non-legal ('e' marked) exhausts. If you lie about the exhausts and need to make a claim, (or worse, have a claim made against you) your insurance is not worth the paper it's written on.

I take Norwich Union insurance, partly because they don't care what you fit so long as you tell them. If you don't tell them and you need to make a claim, the first thing they'll do is look for a body-swerve, like you not declaring deviations from standard. I declared all the carbon goodies (and straight through cans) on my old M900, they moved me up a category but my 'erse' was covered.

Ask your insurer!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas, you have confirmed that I really should put the record straight from the start, even if it means changing insurance company.

Cheers,

Bob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts