Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've been looking for a 12 point crows foot that will extend far enough from the cylinders to be able to get my torque wrench on. Haven't come across one. Any body know who sells them here in the USA? All I've found are the open end 6 point.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't want to get this good discussion off track with arcana, but the method if putting a crows foot on the end of a torque wrench is valid, but the mathematically correct angle is not 90 degrees. 90 degrees yields an effective torque arm as the hypotenuse of the lengths of the torque werench and the crows foot. For a long torque wrench an a short crows foot, this is probably a don't-care, but for the offered tip that uses a combination wrench instead of a crows foot, the error might be significant for shorter torque wrenches.

If my ciphers are correct, a 12-inch torque wrench with a 6-inch combination wrench would require about 75 degrees to avoid any correction factor.

The error might still be small. I didn't work it out.

I know that with either the crow's foot or the wrench, it might be tough to dial in a precise angle, which means that we still might need to apply a correction factor.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I don't want to get this good discussion off track with arcana, but the method if putting a crows foot on the end of a torque wrench is valid, but the mathematically correct angle is not 90 degrees. 90 degrees yields an effective torque arm as the hypotenuse of the lengths of the torque werench and the crows foot. For a long torque wrench an a short crows foot, this is probably a don't-care, but for the offered tip that uses a combination wrench instead of a crows foot, the error might be significant for shorter torque wrenches.

If my ciphers are correct, a 12-inch torque wrench with a 6-inch combination wrench would require about 75 degrees to avoid any correction factor.

The error might still be small. I didn't work it out.

I know that with either the crow's foot or the wrench, it might be tough to dial in a precise angle, which means that we still might need to apply a correction factor.
Please guys!! my brain is hurting!! RR

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm with RR on this, it's not necessary to torque these nut's. I understand hobbies can become obsessional but come on guys! Apart from that, where is everyone getting the correct torque figure from? I've not seen one in my manuals.
Mind you sometimes wish I hadn't fitted an oil pressure gauge, watching it and worrying about it becomes obsessional.
John

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My shop maual for unit twins has a torque listed for the cylinder block nuts in the general data section. My later manual for the 750 doesn't give the spec.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I love it and not a torque wrench in sight, and he used a ball pein (peen) hammer to knock the gudgeon pins in :cool:
The trouble with torque wrenches is the temperature they are used at,
as it can greatly interfere with the poundage you pull.
A good nip up is adequate for the fixings on the trusty Triumph
there is really no need to get all complicated on them.
I found the full set of these vids on YTube they are all well worth watching.

·
Registered
914 Posts
<is the temperature they are used at>
I, of course, assemble my engines at 20 deg C.

I wish I could get a copy of the background music in that video. It would make me much more productive.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That's not it at all....

The trouble with torque wrenches is the temperature they are used at, as it can greatly interfere with the poundage you pull.
The trouble with torque wrenches in Oz is that you're up-side-down and experiencing the opposite season from Conventry and Meriden.

:laughhard

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The trouble with torque wrenches in Oz is that you're up-side-down and experiencing the opposite season from Conventry and Meriden.

:laughhard
So funny RF. This might explain why we rarely use them down here!!:D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts