Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Wolf wanting numbers of people wanting to order the slash cut Tridents (and to be honest I would only want them with the slash cut) I need to ask everyone what they think.

I have been considering either the TOR or the Tridents. Which one is better? Aside from looks, of course.

Does fitment of either void the warranty?
Do they both provide similar performance gains?
Is either system easier to install?
Does either system fail an MOT?
Are both for 'off road use only'?
Which one is louder?

Many thanks again, folks, for your opinions and wealth of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
James

I have the Tridents, with no slashes, and am extremely pleased with them.

No baffles in and on a ride today as I passed under a concrete bridge - wow! THAT noise!

Can be a tad loud on long runs though, so ear plugs a must.

Have ridden in the past a demo bike with the TOR exhaust and very nice it was too.

Performance gain for the Tridents may be as much as 6-7 ponies, not sure on the TORS.

If you have the baffle in on the Tridents, Peter says they will pass UK noise emission levels.

I am looking forward to seeing yours if you get them!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Fitment of either does not void warranty
TOR give about 4 bhp gain and Trident 7-8 bhp gain when tested back to back
TOR is easier to install but neither should take over an hour or need any special tools - the Trident is just slightly more fiddly as you have 3 cans to line up nicely..
TOR is completely illegal and will fail an MOT - Trident with the baffle in is BSAU tested and legal
The Trident unbaffled is louder but also much deeper in tone so doesn't sound as harsh - baffled it is still deeper and louder than stock but legal
The Trident is also much cooler under the seat than the TOR

·
Registered
366 Posts
The P.O. put TOR on my bike, and I'm happy with it. I've never seen a bike with 'dents in person, but they sound badass on soundclips I've listened to. If I was spending the $, I think I'd get the Tridents.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
UK,

I have a TOR on my bike right now and I generally like it. Previously, I had an IXIL system which is somewhat similar to the Trident in that it has three separate silencers. I sent it back because of fit issues which I found out later could have been resolved easily. The only reason I then opted for the TOR was I found one used for relatively little cash and I was tired of fiddling with pricey stuff that didn't fit (in my thinking).

In sum: The TOR sounds reasonably good, looks stock and relieves some of the heat, but it will not have the overall character of the Tridents with respect to sound, HP gains and mostly, looks. Another thing for you to consider being in the UK is that you can probably buy the Tridents for the same or less as the TOR right now. I believe that you'd be much prouder of your bike with the Tridents on than the TOR, especially given that the TOR looks like you haven't even changed your exhaust at all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick thanks to John, Peter and the others that responded to this thread.

Have made decision to go with the Tridents.

Best wishes,

James.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts