Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went to their website to order and saw they have both slash cut and square cut in the short size. Square is cheaper.
Does anyone know anything about the square cut? Different sound, or just the look?
Thanks,
I think the shorter ones may be a hair louder just because the exits are closer to you. Tone wise, I’m not sure how they’ll differ.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine came today, Great looking pipes. Cant wait for spring to get them on. I didn't realize it at the time but this is the same company that got me a tachometer for my America. They seem to be able to get these hard to find parts. Nice People too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Howard:

The description of the TORs state "They are supplied with a dedicated engine tune to guarantee optimum performance". There was no tune supplied in my box. Did you get one?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Mrob, just FYI
Any Triumph dealer will have the TOR/Aftermarket muffler tune on file. And if you want to do it yourself it is on the TuneECU site for download. I would not be surprised that a seller would not send a thumb drive with the file on it, rather they would likely direct you to the web site to download it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Howard:

The description of the TORs state "They are supplied with a dedicated engine tune to guarantee optimum performance". There was no tune supplied in my box. Did you get one?
Got mine Friday and there was nothing for a tune in there, a usb or anything. Installed them Saturday and hauled it to the dealer for them to tune it quick. Took about 20 mins for them to get it done. It sounds like it should now and can’t wait until I can actually ride it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok, thank you MattyMo.

Thanks mhoward. Wont be putting mine on yet. bitterly cold and snow, snow, snow. Expecting another 6 to 12 inches in the next 2 days. Come on Spring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just wanted to update everyone. It finally got warm enough for us, I took the speedy out yesterday for the first ride with the TOR exhaust. I am completely happy with it. I ride with ear plugs along with music and coms in my helmet to talk to my wife on her bike, and I could hear the rumble on acceleration pretty darn good, cruising on the highway not so much.

On the ride home I took my ear plugs out and got throttle happy as much as I could. Acceleration was nothing but smiles, cruising on highway was still pretty calm without ear plugs. I feel safer when I'm in blind spots of cars now that they can actually hear me coming up on them. Best thing I've done to the bike so far! Put on about 130 miles yesterday.

Also, I asked the tech at my dealer if I would see any gain in power ect. from the TOR MAP and he said there wouldn't be much to notice. But I felt it was smoother through the RPMS when getting on it, not necessarily faster or anything. Also cruising around town around 30-40 mph, I wasn't getting the jerkiness that I got before the MAP. Before, the throttle felt jumpy under light throttle when in the city, even after I had the throttle bodies balanced.

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experience so far. I've also ordered the tall sissy bar from the MADSS store. Any suggestions on a good sissy bar bag?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the update and glad your happy with the mufflers.

As far as a bag goes, I have used one like this from River Road for years. Started as a tail bag on the sissy bar/ cargo rack and is now on the front as a fork bag.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/River-Road-Motorcycle-8-1-2-x-5-1-2-x-3-Tool-Pouch-BLACK/192333923901?epid=171192157&hash=item2cc7fec63d:g:jqQAAOSwwohZ4h1R
I probably should have clarified, I'm looking for a much bigger bag that can hold a weeks worth of clothes etc lol. Been looking at viking bags sissy bar bags and they look good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ive been looking at Viking also. Also have watched some youtube reviews on viking bags, they all seem to be good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ive been looking at Viking also. Also have watched some youtube reviews on viking bags, they all seem to be good.
I have viking bags on my 15 speedmaster. For the money they are not bad and the install was not terrible. I do however wish they were easier to remove for cleaning of the bike purposes. Also for looks. I don't however have experience with any others as this is my first non sport bike.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Well, I bought 'em, so we'll see (hear). Based on your experience, do you suggest putting the RTV bead on the header pipe, inside the muffler entrance, or it doesn't matter?
Hey Bob, wondered if you pulled the trigger. I think you will be happy with the sound.
I have always run a small (not real thin but not thick) smooth bead around the header pipe, maybe a half inch or so from the end. Would rather put the sealer on the solid pipe and slide the muffler into place. Doubt it really matters as long as you get an even application.
And you are already running a modified tune so no computer/ECU work should be needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, I bought 'em, so we'll see (hear). Based on your experience, do you suggest putting the RTV bead on the header pipe, inside the muffler entrance, or it doesn't matter?
Yes I did run a bead around the header. It was the copper RTV from permatex I used. There was silicone there from when the dealer assembled the bike so I figured why not. I heard that if there is no bead, then there is a lot more popping/backfiring on decel. I only put maybe an 1/8'' bead or smaller around the header pipe. Seemed to seal good and it doesn't seem to pop or backfire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes I did run a bead around the header. It was the copper RTV from permatex I used. There was silicone there from when the dealer assembled the bike so I figured why not. I heard that if there is no bead, then there is a lot more popping/backfiring on decel. I only put maybe an 1/8'' bead or smaller around the header pipe. Seemed to seal good and it doesn't seem to pop or backfire.
I read the copper RTV is good to 650 to 700 degrees, not knowing anything about the amount of heat produced buy the pipes, is that enough? I see other sealants that go up to 2000 degrees. Our weather may finally climb out of the 30's and stop snowing next Saturday, and I'd like to change the pipes, so I'll need to get some sealant.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I read the copper RTV is good to 650 to 700 degrees, not knowing anything about the amount of heat produced buy the pipes, is that enough? I see other sealants that go up to 2000 degrees. Our weather may finally climb out of the 30's and stop snowing next Saturday, and I'd like to change the pipes, so I'll need to get some sealant.
Yeah I think that should be fine. I don’t think it’ll get near 700 degrees at the joint where it needs applied.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I used the red RTV by Permatex. It's very common where I live. Never had a problem with it, once I clean it off of everywhere I didn't want it. I put my new ones on but embarrassed that I haven't found the time to start it and listen. I did notice they didn't slide right on like my others. I had to "adjust" the slotted tabs a little. Maybe they move in shipping. They were not scratched, but the box looked like it was dropped off without stopping the truck.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Finally ran with them. They sound good, not as loud as my modifieds but loud enough so people in traffic know I'm next to them, and a great buy! Could I be done spending money on this bike....................?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Put the TORS on this morning and took it for a ride. What a difference, I felt like I was riding a scooter before with that sewing machine sound. Now it sounds like a real motorcycle. I can shift without having to look at the tachometer because I can hear the motor. I have deceleration popping, I'll get that taken care of on some nice weekend when I can do the 2 hour drive to the dealer for a new map.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts