Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to mount a topbox on my 2006 Tiger (Caspian Blue) and am trying to decide between OEM and aftermarket. The price for each, painted to match, is pretty much a wash.

The OEM naturally matches the lines of the bike the best, but is it a good choice over GIVI, Krauser, etc as far as function?

I have an old GIVI E52 on my KLR, which has a nice inner bag (Bestem) as well as a 52L capacity. What is the capacity of the OEM unit, and what choice would you make?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Hi,

Tricky one this :confused:

Yes, the OEM ones naturally match the lines of the bike and the side cases, it will hold loads of gear (unlike the side cases), including a full face helmet.

However, in comparison to some of the Givi ones I've seen, they are not very strong and scratch easily.

Decisions, decisions ??

p.s.- oh, and the OEM ones leak !!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I fitted an aftermarket topbox to my tiger, not too expensive, i did have it fitted to my previous bike prior to the tiger. 50lts. it does the job.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/RENNTEC-LITRE-QUICK-RELEASE-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B000R566QA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349725390&sr=8-1-fkmr0[/ame]

the only problen is there isn't a proper handle plus to remove it, you have to undo a bolt inside the topbox, not so clever when its full, so i just leave it on the Tiger

·
Registered
205 Posts
The benefit I had from my Givi V46 is that it is now used on the 4th bike in three years (my and my wife's bikes).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a little more digging, A new OEM box from Ebay (in the wrong color, no less) will run about $380 delivered. Figure another $200 for paint. That's a lot of cabbage for a leaky topbox.

A new GIVI E55 Maxia runs $305 from Motorcycle Superstore. I can even leave it black until I feel I cannot do without a matching lid. I already have a mounting plate for it as well.

It would be nice to have an OEM set of luggage, but it seems a bit steep for an ultimately inferior product. The GIVI can even be farkled up in the future with a light kit and liner bag.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Are you talking about a 955i ? 2006 was about the time the 1050 was launched.

I had the Triumph box on both of my 955i's. Nice boxes. Big enough for 2 helmets. They only leak if not put together properly by the supplying dealer. The seals can be fitted incorrectly if care is not taken. Can be refitted to good effect. Bonus is the single key for ignition, panniers and topbox.

If it's a 1050 you are talking about things are different. Totally waterproof but much smaller. I can only fit one medium sized helmet in mine.

I specced the Triumph luggage from new. If I had my time again I would choose aftermarket for the 1050. I was more than happy with the Triumph luggage on the 955i.

JJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is a 955.

Either case would cost $200 to paint-match. That puts the OEM @ $580.00, and the GIVI @ $505. Almost a push, so it boils down to preference.

The GIVI requires a plate to be mounted at all times on the bike, while the OEM requires nothing - the bike looks better without it on than with the GIVI set-up. I'm pretty sure the GIVI is lighter, but that probably amounts to a moot point. OEM has two latches, GIVI one.

I already have two keys (one for ignition, one for panniers), so either box adds a third. I don't know what the OEM's capacity is, but the GIVI is a cavernous 55L. It also has a carry handle and available inner bag. That's nice.

I'm leaning towards the GIVI, but the $75 difference keeps it from being a slam dunk.

Tricky indeed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd never paint a Givi. I'd rather keep it black and use it on any bike I can mount a Givi plate on (so far: F800GS, R1200GS, DL650, F650GS, Tiger 800).

·
Registered
36 Posts

as you can see,i have a givi v46....tough as old boots and the colour matches my bike.
i don`t use it very often,but i find the rack comes in handy for strapping my folding chair to...when on a trip to the races:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts