Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys was trying to replace the headlamp brackets with new ones. I searched the triple clamp removal threads and yes it was easy to take off but now when I went back to reinstall the top triple the center stem is a couple mm off. How do I get it to line up? The bike is not on a stand of any sort, just the side stand. Looks like the forks need to to be moved ever so slightly forward so that the stem thread can line up. Any tips fellas?

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Perhaps it's not lining up due to it being on the sidestand. The only times I've has mine off I had the bike elevated up on a jack. And it's way easier to do one fork at a time.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hey guys was trying to replace the headlamp brackets with new ones. I searched the triple clamp removal threads and yes it was easy to take off but now when I went back to reinstall the top triple the center stem is a couple mm off. How do I get it to line up? The bike is not on a stand of any sort, just the side stand. Looks like the forks need to to be moved ever so slightly forward so that the stem thread can line up. Any tips fellas?
Have you got some sort of bike lift or jack you can use so you get the front wheel off the ground?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i dont, i think i will have to bite the bullet on this one and get a jack, seems like thats the only way to get it to align correctly. thanksguys

·
Registered
453 Posts
you can do it if someone helps you lift some of the weight off the front forks by lifting the wheel as you finagle it around

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
you can do it if someone helps you lift some of the weight off the front forks by lifting the wheel as you finagle it around

I'm not sure that would work too well as you would still have the weight of the bike going through the forks.

What you need to do is have the weight going through a pivot (such as a lift of some kind, even blocks of timber under the frame bars) and then to the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts