Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread where everyone was spilling the beans on their age so I thought it might be interesting to share everyone's top speed on their Thruxtons or Bonnies! (not the crotch rockets!)

I managed 105mph on the I-95 on a short burst before exiting - I know it'll do a lot more though but I don't need the ticket!

Anyone got any idea what the top speed for a standard Thruxton might be? And with some mods to exhaust, intake & sprockets etc what MIGHT the top end come out at?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
When my Thruxton was stock (ish) with TORs I was able to manage 110( indicated) on a flat road . Now with 35mmCRs ,ARK, Bubs and a 19tooth I can get almost 130s( indicated on the clock) . But that 130 is most likely in the low 120s .
With simular mods as mine if anyone tells you anything more that 125-130 they're either stretching it a tad or need to get their speedo looked at. I've heard crazy speeds as up to 150 on a Thruxton . They might be out there but with the mods I have 125-130 is about right before she wants to throw you off.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
about 118 indicated before I hit the rev limiter on my 790 bonnie..thats about 110 in real mph,maybe a little less
To get high speeds you need higher gearing,more revs and more power to fight the wind drag.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
A 790 stock gear 17th and stock rev limit of 7400rpm hits the rev limit at 121mph by the speedo if it has enough balls to get there.With a 18th and a 8200 rev limit it will go past 130mph .How far past I cant tell you that cause of me running out of balls lol.
Most stock bikes run out of HP before you hit the rev limit.It takes some poneys to beat the wind over 100 mph.What i found as strange when you hit the rev limit in high gear you cant hear it like in lower gears cause of the wind,it is like cruse control.
A wind screen sure makes high speed running easyer on you to,dont beat you up as bad.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My '07 Thrux, Preds, no A/I or Airbox, K&Ns, jetted #42/#145, cleaned up inlet tract, 19Tooth, otherwise stock; still had guts left at 120, which I did not, on that road. I got no braver in three runs.
Readout is from a digital bicycle computer, confirmed calibration by GPS. (about $25)
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/257
The stock speedo is almost 10 MPH optimistic at 100.
Still, that's not bad for this type of bike, undefiled by areodynamics, save a small flyscreen, and pulling my 16 stone of avoirdupois.
She loved it.
Redhawk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 790 stock gear 17th and stock rev limit of 7400rpm hits the rev limit at 121mph by the speedo if it has enough balls to get there.With a 18th and a 8200 rev limit it will go past 130mph .How far past I cant tell you that cause of me running out of balls lol.
Most stock bikes run out of HP before you hit the rev limit.It takes some poneys to beat the wind over 100 mph.What i found as strange when you hit the rev limit in high gear you cant hear it like in lower gears cause of the wind,it is like cruse control.
A wind screen sure makes high speed running easyer on you to,dont beat you up as bad.
One day I'd love to buy one of those Motorne 1/4 fairings - they look fantastic - that combined with my mods & the 19th sprocket I might be good for 130 - not sure where on the I-95 I can try that out though!!:D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Crikey you chaps are made of steel.
I have just put a 19th sprocket on and boy what a difference to the pull factor.
It has a Dart screen and Hyde exhausts, and the max I have achieved so far is about 80mph.
OK it is new - just 600 miles on the clock and I am going easy ish.
But I cannot imagine doing over a ton or even one ten.
The Bonnie just touched a ton, when it was well run in but the teeth were chattering and the face muscles straining.
Of course it might be due to the open face helmet and goggles, plus the fact that I tend to properly salute other drivers, car or bike, as I go by, which might lower the top speed somewhat.
~But I do hope to find a clear stretch of road in Spring so I can open her up and not have to salute anyone.
Perhaps then I can ease her over the ton and avoid the police at the same time.
If not, I will salute the police.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I managed 105mph on the I-95 on a short burst before exiting
Crazy isn't it? We are looking for a long negative slope to hit these numbers, and the triples are still shifting gears.

Sign up for a trackday and you'll know exactly what you can pull. I don't want to know what the ticket would involve.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So how fast *can* it go?

When mine was stock it did 110 indicated and had no more pull left.

Now, with ai and airbox gone and preds on, it goes up to 115 indicated where I also hit redline and it still has quite a bit of pull left.

These speedos seem to have widely varying amounts of calibration and instillation errors because of the simple fact that with a certain front sprocket, in fifth gear, the bike will redline at a certain speed.

I have no idea how accurate my 110/115 is but there seems to be a lot of people that say that the speedo is optimistic by X amount. So I may really be just over 100 when i redline, as everyone should be, unless you change sprockets or have a higher redline.

I wonder what it really *can* go. and i also wonder how much faster a 19 tooth sprocket will be...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So how fast *can* it go?

Now, with ai and airbox gone and preds on, it goes up to 115 indicated where I also hit redline and it still has quite a bit of pull left.

These speedos seem to have widely varying amounts of calibration and instillation errors because of the simple fact that with a certain front sprocket, in fifth gear, the bike will redline at a certain speed.

I have no idea how accurate my 110/115 is but there seems to be a lot of people that say that the speedo is optimistic by X amount. So I may really be just over 100 when i redline, as everyone should be, unless you change sprockets or have a higher redline.

I wonder what it really *can* go. and i also wonder how much faster a 19 tooth sprocket will be...
Pirate
I have a similar set up to you except I have the 19 th front sprocket - personally I wouldn't go back to 18th - I think it works great with the additional power from the K&N's/Preds combination. One of these days when I'm brave enough I'll try & find out!:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
AHRMA posts radar recorded top speeds from Daytona every year. Here you need to consider that these are lightened, modded bikes, right up to (and sometimes beyond) the class specs. Some guys run fly screens, others angle the front number plate to help the top end. Oh, and there's always wind to consider, and of course, rider size/weight.......So, most bikes reach 115-120+ with the fastest bikes hitting 129 mph. Everybody gears up for Daytona, the ideal gearing has you hitting the rev limiter as you cross start/finish....Interestingly, one of the most direct ways to up rwhp has nothing to do with the motor, but by lightning the drive train by machining the rear rotor and switching to a 520 chain & alloy sprockets.And these guys are probably running VP U4 race gas, probably giving a 6% hp lift to a well-tuned Thruxton....

-eric

·
Registered
94 Posts
During the summer, I had to keep up with my wife and her brother both on TT600's on a trip from Austin to Corpus. It was a lot of staight roads with the wind to our backs and I hit 120. My bike is completly stock with only a fly screen. I was just about to red line, but the bike didn't have any more power to get it there. I plan to do a 19 tooth and the airbox removal with Preds. Otherwise I will never be able to keep up with my wife.

That trip was about 4 1/2 hours with plenty of breaks every 50 miles or so and I got the worst gas milage ever because the slowest we went for most of it was 90. I was switching to reserve with only 88-92 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
So how fast *can* it go?

It may or may not go any faster with a 19 it depends on if you got enough hp to pull the higher gear any faster.Thats where hp comes in to play big time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have CR carbs, nology ignition, preditor pipes, airbox kit,carazorria wheels, with stock gears. The most I could get was 90mph.... in the back of my F150.

·
Registered
208 Posts
AHRMA posts radar recorded top speeds from Daytona every year. Here you need to consider that these are lightened, modded bikes, right up to (and sometimes beyond) the class specs. Some guys run fly screens, others angle the front number plate to help the top end. Oh, and there's always wind to consider, and of course, rider size/weight.......So, most bikes reach 115-120+ with the fastest bikes hitting 129 mph. Everybody gears up for Daytona, the ideal gearing has you hitting the rev limiter as you cross start/finish....Interestingly, one of the most direct ways to up rwhp has nothing to do with the motor, but by lightning the drive train by machining the rear rotor and switching to a 520 chain & alloy sprockets.And these guys are probably running VP U4 race gas, probably giving a 6% hp lift to a well-tuned Thruxton....

-eric
The year they did the 129, they had a good tailwind down the;) straight. If you check the results from the other day that week, you'll see that they were considerably slower- about 115 if I remember right.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Fastest I ever got, I was on a long downhill run that was wide open and visible (and straight).... Speedo read 112, the Garmin said I never got past 97 or so...

I would say the speedos are woefully inaccurate, if nothing else.

There was more left in the bike, but not in my nuts.... I'm on the stock tires, bike is 100% stock... could feel that it was starting to get less controllable so I backed off... I just like the way my skin looks ON my arms as opposed to on the road, I suppose.... knowing your limits as a rider is a good way to keep it on your arms :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
A couple of posters above have mentioned the bike getting squirrelly above the Ton. Maybe I just lucked out and got the one in ten that was set up correctly, but Lady Triumphantes was rock solid at 120, extremely stable, but completely and accurately controllable. This suggests that any high speed wonkiness isn't "built-in" on the Thrux, but indicates that something isn't quite right. (My suspension, tires, etc, are box-stock) It wouldn't take much.
- Wheel inbalance
- Wheel trueness
- Wheel alignment
- Steering stem tension
- Tire pressure/Wear
Best,
Redhawk

1 - 20 of 60 Posts