Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, I've always wondered what the top speed is for the 2012 1600 Thunderbird? At 70mph the tach is only half way to red line so I'm assuming it's somewhere north of 115?

·
Registered
362 Posts
First of all, on mine at least it's more then that. Mine is at 3k at 80 which is less than 1/2 way to redline. In any case, i once figured it out theoretically meaning IF you could redline it in 6th, which of course you can't unless you have a supercharger maybe, but if you could the speed was something like 185. Of course thats according to the speedo so it's actually less due to speedo error. So its likely somewhere between 175-180 depending on whether speedo error increase with speed. I know at 50 MPH it's 4 MPH slower than it reads, so an actual 46.

It's geared very high apparently to give it the ability to do great cruising speeds leisurely, and it does. I've done some 500 mile trips where i stayed at 95-100 for hours at a time going thru areas where i could get away with it. The bike takes it like it's nothing. As to ACTUAL top speed, not sure. But mine is a 1700 with a custom tune and i hits and indicated 120 pretty easily and i think i've had it to 130 but the speedo stops at 120 and it's just blank space after that. But judging by the distance on the speedo of every 10 MPH increment it looked to be 130. Might have gone more but by that point i was gaining on cars so quickly i had to let off.

There are several models and i don't know how they would vary in regards to speed....1600, 1700, and the commander and LT which spec lower HP than other 1700s. Plus like i said mine has a custom tune with short tors and a gutted cat. In any case the theoretical top speed of all models i believe is 185 according the the fact that in 6th gear mine increases by 15 MPH for every 500 RPMs i add and at 80 it's at 3k so do the math and u will arrive at 185.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
185? First get it to 130 and let us know. Corrected for speedo error. The map has a speed limiter of 115 mph (185 kph) which you can reset.

·
Registered
362 Posts
185? First get it to 130 and let us know. Corrected for speedo error. The map has a speed limiter of 115 mph (185 kph) which you can reset.
Yes, it does. As i said i run a custom map and have run probably 20 that i have downloaded and modified myself and i ALWAYS raise the limiter. Sigh....

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Yes, it does. As i said i run a custom map and have run probably 20 that i have downloaded and modified myself and i ALWAYS raise the limiter. Sigh....
That was for the OP’s info before he makes his speed run.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
my 2011-2012 Storm would get to 115 mph vary quickly and roll off pretty quickly after that. Plenty for hwy cruising and ditching tailers, but it's not going to run with sport bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
my 2011-2012 Storm would get to 115 mph vary quickly and roll off pretty quickly after that. Plenty for hwy cruising and ditching tailers, but it's not going to run with sport bikes.
I believe they got a stock Rocket to 150 at Bonneville. I had mine to 130 with wind screen and bags. The TBird has much less power but with a 6th gear, that may not be speed limiting.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What'll limit the speed is wind resistance which will take a lot more HP.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Suggest that anybody planning on checking top speed personally read my post about heads-up on the Technical forum.
Much safer than looking down at your tank while breaking the ton!!
VABird, FYI, I have asked Frank to see if he can adapt a Gear-in-Go type device to show speed etc.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...........VABird, FYI, I have asked Frank to see if he can adapt a Gear-in-Go type device to show speed etc.
Be surprised to see that. There's lots of R&D time and $$ spent. Since bikes already have a speedometer I see as a very limited appeal.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The speedo on my LT is about 8% optimistic so I expect they are all the same. The big screen and bags takes a lot off the performance at speed so if you really want to test it strip all that off. I've done 100mph and I reckon it might get to 120 with a tailwind.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As a previous owner of a 2010 Blue Haze Thunderbird I thought I'd throw in some information.

One my old buddies, Matt Capri who has a few speed records at Bonneville prepped a Thunderbird to run at the Bonneville Speed Trials about six years ago.

After running and scratching their heads Triumph admitted the Thunderbird was speed limited to about 135 mph in sixth gear if I remember correctly, that speed might not be correct my memory is a little sketchy.

I do them blowing up the bike by keeping it in 5th gear. I'll look for a picture of that bike and attach it if I can find it.

Realistically about 125 mph would be pretty good on a stocker with it's aerodynamics.

http://ishootfromthehip.com/p620864679/h44B034F8#h44b034f8

·
Registered
362 Posts
Matt was the guy that sold me my bike when he still had the triumph dealership. He had one of the first Tbirds in so cal and i bought it june '09. It was a pre order bike. Triumph offered 250 pre order bikes to be delivered 6 months before the bike was officially released, and i dunno how matt bought it being a dealer maybe he used someone elses name to buy it and figured he'd sell it and say the guy backed out or something, i never did understand that. Anyways, he sold one of if not THE first Tbirds in so cal to me in '09. I also did see that bonneville bike when they moved the shop across the street and talked to him about it a few times, but i recall he said something about having brought the wrong fuel for it or something along those lines and couldn't get the proper fuel at bonneville. He mentioned the limiter thing later on but it's been a few years so memory may be a bit off on the timeline. Does he still have the shop? I know it's no longer authorized triumph but i haven't been there for several years. Matt was getting up there so i'm wondering if he's retired or still running it.
On the limiter thing, i remember telling him about tuneecu and he wasn't familiar with it. But you can raise the limiter with it. He sounded interested when i told him but i dunno if he ever tried it.

As a previous owner of a 2010 Blue Haze Thunderbird I thought I'd throw in some information.

One my old buddies, Matt Capri who has a few speed records at Bonneville prepped a Thunderbird to run at the Bonneville Speed Trials about six years ago.

After running and scratching their heads Triumph admitted the Thunderbird was speed limited to about 135 mph in sixth gear if I remember correctly, that speed might not be correct my memory is a little sketchy.

I do them blowing up the bike by keeping it in 5th gear. I'll look for a picture of that bike and attach it if I can find it.

Realistically about 125 mph would be pretty good on a stocker with it's aerodynamics.

http://ishootfromthehip.com/p620864679/h44B034F8#h44b034f8

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
TorqueBird, from talking with Matt over the past two years it sounded like Norton warranty and backup was the last straw.

He has been out of business and retired for a few years. He called me last year to ask to help him and Allan Cathcart run a Moto Morini at Bonneville. That deal fell through. I ask him to go with me to Bonneville this year with my Thruxton R but he took a rain check.

I have one of his Triumph USA 904cc Thruxton engines I've run 140 mph with it, I'm selling it the classifieds below.

He hasn't called or answered emails in a few months, I hope he is okay.

He knows how to make bikes go fast and he knows land speed racing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, they built some crazy fast bonnies. It would have been interesting to see what they would have done with the new 1200s, especially the speed twin !

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my 2012 1600 up 110mph.
Im shure l could get more minus the bags & windscreen.l was wondering if the Birds have speed limiters. My wifes 16' America cuts out at 95

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've had my 2012 1600 up 110mph.
Im shure l could get more minus the bags & windscreen.l was wondering if the Birds have speed limiters. My wifes 16' America cuts out at 95
Matt Capri from Southbay Triumph ran a 1700 Thunderbird at Bonneville one year and said the bike was speed limited in sixth gear. The Triumph representative apologized for not letting him know.

Because they switched from belt to chain drive he was able to change the gearing and run it through 5th gear. They ended up blowing the engine, as I recall it was in the mid 130s for the 5th gear.

If you goggle Matt Capri and Bonneville you can see a picture of the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ive always heard 118 was the limit vs 116 on harleys. ive seen 120 indicated on my bike. but i only trap at 101 in the 1/4 so im not interested in raising it just yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts