Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Top engine frame lug broken off?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  t100rc 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of possibly purchasing a 60's Bonnie. The guy said the top engine lug "by the tank" had broken off.
I didnt know there was an engine lug up that high (I have a haynes manual on the way!)

Is he mistaken? Is there some other lug he may be talking about. If it is an engine lug, is it a big deal to weld one back on?

Thanks again for all your learned help.
Cheers, Kevin.

P.S. theres also no center stand -- is it a problem to get one back on the bike even it involves welding?

Discussion starter · #5 · (Edited)
Engine and Frame numbers match: T120R DU75943 (1968?)

He said it was some lug that connected to the cylinder and to the frame under the tank.

As for the center stand, im not sure if the lugs are still there.

Apart from that the bike looks in good condition from photographs Ive seen. However, it doesnt run since he tried to wire it without a battery and cannot get a spark now. Its been sitting in a basement for 4 years.

He only wants $3,000 for it and from what I havent been seeing online for the last 2 months my options are slim for a late 60s Bonnie. Theres not much out there unless you want to buy a restored one for 10k +.

He's 4 hours from me so if i go up there it would have to be a show stopper to not make me buy it at this point!

What do you think?

Note: just confirmed with my Nelson book that a "New Head Lug" was introducted for 1968.
If previous version didnt have it then maybe its not critical???
Im just wondering what it was connected to in the head --- could it have damaged the head in some way?
This is what he just told me via email: "Its the frame mount under the tank the head is fine there is no motor mount."
Im still not understanding what he mean.

Update: the center stand lugs are intact, just stand is removed. Good news here!

Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
hey Kev , can you get him to send you a pic of the break and post it here along with any other pics of it you've gotten ?
Here's some pictures. He kindly took two pictures of the top end of engine. Does anyone know what is missing and if its a big deal to replace?
Other pictures show bike looks pretty clean. As I said, it doesnt run due to electrical issue, but its mathcing numbers and completely intact.
What do you think of the rear picture? Is it just the angle or does the wheel look further to the left than centered?
Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.