Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i figured i would get some opinions....my 73 750 has some tintin hollow noise comming from what seems to be the left top end....I'm about to take off the rocker covers and check push rods etc....has anyone had any problems with bent push rods...causing bad top end sounds... I have gone round and round with this motor.... after a new oil pump i get awesome oil pressure (80 cold...45-60 warm).. Starts and runs awesome...just has this tintintin sound coming from the engines top end... i have checked the alternator nut...valves have been adjusted more than once and by 2 different mechanics...

Any insight would be awesome!

Thanks
-Zach

·
Registered
348 Posts
check your timing again. if not back off 1-2* then see if that helps.

i run my like this, it cuts way back on any engine sound.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Check your valve lash yourself to make sure, set to .004 Intake, .006 Exhaust. How many miles on the current bores? Could be piston slap, bad ring due to lean run etc. Also, could the rocker arms be hitting the inspection covers? A buddy of mine had that problem and it made things very noisy.
just brainstorming

·
Registered
563 Posts
They're noisy engines by nature. Just re-check valve lashes when engine is cold. Excessive adjustment on one "may" indicate a bent push rod, but I doubt it!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hey Zach,

Is the "noise" a new thing? Give us a bit of background here. Has it always been a little noisy? I agree with TRI, the top ends are a bit loud. And I agree with a everyone about checking valve lash. Just trying to figure out if you're experiencing the normal chatter (as in, it runs fine, and has always made these noises) or if this is a new problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always made this noise...just blows my mind that it clears up and comes back seems like depending on rpm... i was content with it being a triumph noise until a customer of mine came over with a 750 that made no noise close to mine..original motor from 74. I guess im just trying to avoid the inevitable...that being ripping it down. It could be piston slap...could be bad ring.. last thing i'm going to do before break down is bench charge battery and re-set timing to boyer spec.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
802 Posts
My '68 TR6R has a loud top end, not really loud like engine problems, just louder than say a new bike. It reaches a natural frequency at around 25mph in third gear that goes away if I vary the rpm's. I wouldn't worry about it, and if it really bothers you do a leakdown to determine cylinder condition. Like I always say, ride it 'till it blows up, then back off a notch.;)
Is the noise louder when the engine is cold?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts