Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you tourers use a top box on your st. I am looking to purchase one as I need to carry a laptop for work purposes and I am not sure if it wil fit. I would be grateful if anyone has one if they could let me know the measurements. I need to get a soft case which is roughly 440 x 360 x 130. Will it fit. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vdlcinc what are the dimensions of your laptop please. I have looked at the givi but not sure if fitment plate will be suitable although box looks nice. would prefer triumph box if possible. Could ypou perhaps measure the triumph box for me. thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
I use the Givi E52, which was the largest they made a year ago.... click my trip link below for pics of it all installed. I am NOT good at metric conversions ( ***** that Nixon! )... but stad laptop in it's case fits in mine..... btw, I used the triumph rack with all the added bracing and then the Givi adapter plate, I've done well over 15k miles with trouble. The Givi case pops on and off very easily.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your response but what I really need are the measurements of the Triumph top box as fitted to the ST. The reason is I am purchasing a new Tiger in the near future and apparently it will use the same topbox as the ST. If I order the box at the same time as the bike I get a good discount , however I am reluctant to order as I dont know its size and the dealers can only tell me that it is 35 litre capacity. Please could someone just take the measurement on their box . Many thanks for all your responses and I may well end up with the Givi.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Hi RGCH

That's real spooky as I have a Tiger Topbox on my ST!!

The box is curved in all directions, and at the widest points (where lid and base meet) it is 500mm wide by 360mm front to rear.

If you measure in the base of the box (above the level of the lock recess) these become 500x320 respectively.

Comparing those to the figures you gave for your Laptop case, I would say it should fit nice and snug, and if it is a tad too snug it will still fit at a slight front to rear slope!

They are NOT quite the same box, but they should fit fine. I had to take some bits off the bottom of my Tiger one to get it on, and get some rubber ears, but you need to check that it will mate with your rack, as you have down turned sides to your rack (I think) that's why the ST uses rubber ears.

Should be close enough though!

Hope that helps :-D

Rexx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rexyypup
Thanks for that. Funny cos I have a topbox for my current tiger 2004 but thought that it wouldnt fit the new model tiger which has the same set up as the sprint. Not ure what you mean about ears though. and the sprint has a sliding carriage with rack set up as does the new tiger socant quite see how the current tiger box would fit on to the carriage. Would save me a fistfull if I could use it as I only need to have the old one resprayed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That looks like it'll be a pretty tight fit. My work laptop is a ginormous 17 inch Mac Powerbook and it won't fit in the normal soft case which I'd guess is about as large as your case, but it will just fit in only a padded sleeve. If you have a smaller laptop in a squshy case you'll probably be ok. I can take some measurements of the case if you'd like - it's at work right now. The measurements of only the top case won't be terribly helpful since it isn't very square and everything has to fit at an angle.

Mark

·
Registered
308 Posts
440x360x130...

or as we say in Texas...

17.3228x14.1732x5.1181 ... give or take a few hundreths...

Anyway... my topbox CONSERVATIVELY will fit 18x13x6... so the front to back measurement might be a little tight... but I think you should be able to fit it easily with the slight slope (as RexxyPup said)... either that or get yourself a bit smaller laptop bag.... my laptop measure 10x12x2... (305x254x50) and it fits real easy with the small bag I use....

BTW... I also had an '04 Tiger with Topbox... and it was the same size as my Sprint topbox...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys
Thanks for all your help. Have now ordered the new top box and am confident I will squeeze it in one way or another.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts