Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my sprint has the Triumph top box fitted,with the sliding mounting.This rattles and really annoys me.I was told that the movement is the for areodynamic reasons?As every other top box and carrier is solidly bolted on any other bike,is there any reason I cannot lock the sliding platform in place? This would achieve the aim of stopping the rattles,and enable me to listen to the more plesant sounds around me.

Cheers.:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Mine does that too, drives me nuts (more nuts). It's another brilliantly stupid idea, same league as the mini-dumbells. I'd like to see the test data that defends those two "features" :confused:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, I have one data poiint to work from.

My '08 is the most stable bike in crosswinds and truck turbulence I have ever owned and that includes my Blackbird and about 10 BMWs, a VFR, a ZX-11 and an assortment of others.

I attribute it to the pannier and top box mounting. I recently switched from the factory panniers to Givi E-41's due to requirements for more room and the bike is more sensitive now. I don't run a top box but rather have Givi's soft tail pack mounted to the sliding rack. No rattles.

Try a bungy cord wrapped to pull downward a bit but not restrict the side to side. If you must, it wouldn't be too hard to re-arrange the spacers and get the plate rigid.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,I am going to have a play tomorrow and see if I can tighten/adjust the plate and reduce the rattle.There must be a way to quieten things down.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The mounting spacers could probably be trimmed a bit using a lathe or a sanding disk. Too far and the rack will become rigid and not slide properly.

It isn't a problem for me but, I might explore a large, flat elastic like a section of bicycle inner tube wrapped across the top of the rack and fastened to either itself or wrapped and tied to the rigid portion of the mount. You should still be able to get the box to mount as the tube isn't very thick.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's another brilliantly stupid idea, same league as the mini-dumbells. I'd like to see the test data that defends those two "features" :confused:
I am with elevens on this.

I have yet to see Givi or any of the other luggage manufacturer adopt this sliding concept.

It is designed to help with the handling as you tip into a corner.

Not something that I would particularly like as it upset the weight distribution as you are tipping in. Probably up there with Honda VTEC that kicks in when you least want it.

Personally I would bypass the slider set up and bolt the mounting plate up solid to rack to stop it moving and rattling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts