Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've been riding 42 years, I am new to the Tiger 1050. As delivered, the top box has machined slots with nylon bushings to allow it to travel side to side approximately an inch. This appears intentional, and I'm wondering why. Can one of you guys enlighten me on what Triumph was thinking to allow this box continuous free movement? I'm stumped! Thanks, Olguy66:confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
The topbox is designed to move slightly with the motion of the bike around corners. I can't see how this theory makes any difference in practice,but that's the way it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The topbox is designed to move slightly with the motion of the bike around corners. I can't see how this theory makes any difference in practice,but that's the way it is supposed to be.
Thank you sir! I spent all of August this past year in the UK, and was sorely missing a bike while there! I don't know how you guys cope with all the rain, though! I guess it's all in what you are accustomed to! We fair-weather pansies in the States would be grumpy indeed! Thanks again for putting my mind (?) at rest! Bill aka Olguy66

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi guys. I heard a slightly different expanation for the movement. I understand that at high cruising speed this slight movement allows the box to oscillate slightly thus reducing the chance of the bike developing a weave. The same feature is designed into the panniers on the sprint st. Not sure if it is carried over onto the tiger design. ( my 955i panniers are rigid )

Regards JJ

·
Registered
791 Posts
My 955 top box moves also. I don't like it; however, haven't bothered with tring to stiffen things up a bit. Anyone have a fix for this?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Stephen.

Not sure what's going on with movement with your 955 top box. It's not meant to. Mine is as rigid as the panniers. I assume you are talking about the genuine Triumph box ?

Mine locates around the Triumph rear rack and locks down. It's as tight as a nuns bum.

Is your rubbery foam stuff still intact ? It sits in the bit that grips the rear rack - ensures a snug fit. Might be worth trying some draught excluder or similar if your's is loose.

If I've misunderstood your problem please repost. Someone will have an answer.

Cheers JJ

·
Registered
791 Posts
You are right on JJ. I have no foam insert; but, I have considered some "draft excluder." I didn't realize something was missing.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
305 Posts
The OE topbox on mine rattled about a bit, so a couple of slices of thin foam rubber on the underside of the box firmed it up. I find it hard to believe that a topbox is designed to be loose, in order to attend to a stability issue. I'm no scientist, so I've no back-up to this argument, but having had weaves at speed in the past (not on a Tiger), I can't picture how a loose topbox would have had any beneficial effect. For me, putting foam under the box was purely to stop it rattling on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Top Box Free Play-Recall

Guys,
I absolutely stumbled unto this, but the Tiger 1050 had a recall which was because some of these boxes were being installed with thinner washers which prevented the movement of the top box. JohnJo nailed it exactly. Triumph WANTS that box to be capable of moving ever so slightly to negate its contributing to a "weave" situation at high speeds. (I believe 80 mph was mentioned). Check out Triumph Tiger 1050 Recall on the net. Olguy66

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, that shows what I know.
Still, how the hell does that work?
Convince me, and I'll buy you a pint in my local.
Until then, even though it comes from VOSA and Triumph, I'm mentally filing this one under 'Complete Cobblers'.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I can't yet accept that it is supposed to move like mine used to. I say used to, because I added foam weather stripping and it is near solid now. I suppose it may still move around some if the buffeting was strong enough; however, hearing it bounce around was just too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts