Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Oh, geez, I'd go nuts in there. I still find old tools are often better made and longer lasting than the new crap you can buy at say, Home Depot.

My favorite socket set is a very old one given to me by my ex bf's dad, who was a Caterpillar mechanic.

And nothing beats an old pitch fork. The new ones break very quickly and the old ones just keep on working.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Definitely putting that on my list of places to visit.

I had several tools stolen from me by an apprentice once, but I couldn't prove it. I was the service manager, so I just replaced them on the company's tab, rightly or wrongly. After leaving the occupation, I've noticed a lot more stuff is missing that I only notice now because I haven't needed them since I worked there. The most expensive loss was a wood machinist's box full of micrometers, depth gauges, calipers and dial indicators. It hit me as soon as I went into a seldom-used tool cabinet that the last time I saw the gauges was in that shop. Too late now; I just can't justify the price of replacing whole sets of things, so I just buy one of something as I need them at places like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts