Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While trying to get this bike ready for the road, I needed a way to easily remove the front wheel (haven't got to the rear yet).

I hit on the idea of using a 12mm. rod coupling(a 1/2" is just a tad small) and the brit-bike required shifting spanner.
For the grand sum of under $2.50 at your friendly True-Value hardware you have something that stores easily in your tool kit.:D

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys are mis-understanding me. This is simply a $2.50 disposable/ throw-away tool. Suitable to carry and use on the road with a wrench commonly found in your toolpack. Not the method used in your shop.
If you want to carry the proper box wrench to use on a simple rod coupling, you might as well cut down a correct 19mm. Allen hex key wrench and carry a small pipe as an extension handle for its use.:)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thats seems like a fairly decent idea to me. Now that I kinda see what it is he was using the coupler for. Pretty ingenious for road side fixes, not going to use it for shop time though.

·
Registered
896 Posts
only when I travel outside the country for extended vacations etc do I ever carry additional tools, and then I go OTT, and fill a pannier with 1 of every sized spanner, socket, etc in the tool chest. plus all the Huge socket(s) and torque wrench.
the rest of the time I carry a cell phone and AA/AAA card, and let the breakdown truck get me out of the brown stuff, if the fault is serious enough, the trip is over anyhow, & I`m only 2-4hrs from home at any point on this tiny rock we call england to be taken home by the breakdown truck, where I can deal with the fault in better surroundings

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
+1 ditto wot Peirre said.

I like to think I am a fair wrench, but know that I am not going to repair my bike along the roadside.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I did get a very nice piece of high tensile steel bar that is my prime axle removal tool - but here's one you would not worry too much about damaging ! Welded by my daughter at college!

PS it did work too :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts