Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2006 ABS Sprint to the track last week. Now I have a new found respect for the bike! With Michelin Pilot Powers tires, sans centerstand and sans peg feelers, I think I took her to the limit of the lean angles. it could still go faster if I had better body position, but in terms of lean angles, I have to say the bike behaved great - perfect neutral steering, nice feel from the suspension that was dialed for my weight by pros and 6-pots doing the braking job, it was a pleasure to ride and very confident feeling.

I will be back on the track in a month again!

here are some pics:

from friends:

and from a pro photog:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Good on you Sama! Great pics. I love seeing these relatively big machines making muscle on the track. I took mine and it was a very fun day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice pics! the bike does surprises you with track ability. Just feels nice and well planted in corners. Had 2 track days on it so far (2 were lessons) and loved every minute of it. This pictures make me want to book another TD soon :)

Did you disconnect the front lights or just covered them up with tape?

GK

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice pics! the bike does surprises you with track ability. Just feels nice and well planted in corners. Had 2 track days on it so far (2 were lessons) and loved every minute of it. This pictures make me want to book another TD soon :)

Did you disconnect the front lights or just covered them up with tape?

GK
yes, I disconnected all the lights and removed taillight/license place assembly - it was easy since I have a tail tidy - I just duct taped the wire to the "balls" bar in the back :) I also took off the mirrors and centerstand

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
GK, Leaving the lights connected risks cooking the tape to the lens.

Sama, I used the same tires and thought they were amazing. No doubt about them getting sticky.....really, really sticky. Like fly paper sticky.

Did you have the same experience?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GK, Leaving the lights connected risks cooking the tape to the lens.

Sama, I used the same tires and thought they were amazing. No doubt about them getting sticky.....really, really sticky. Like fly paper sticky.

Did you have the same experience?
yes, tires were very good, never lost traction, unless you missed a shift and downshifted to far, but that's a given - any tire would start skidding in that case

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Immaterial as a gauge of performance, unless you are just curious.

Lap times are pertinent.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Top speed?
I don't know - about 120 before braking on the front straight - but I was not twisting it up all the way, there were people much faster than me in the corners on smaller bikes, so as a courtesy I was not gunning her all the way, so they could safely pass. I was in fifth gear once or twice when passing on the straight, other than that all track was done in 2nd-3rd gear in twisty parts, venturing to 4th on straights

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are several YouTube videos posted up for Blackhawk Raceway. A couple of them show approximate speeds. Do a search on YouTube.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was at Blackhawk this past weekend (NESBA)...a lot of fun !! Still dont have the nerve to take the Sprint out yet...As for beginners sake, I think Sport Bike Track Time has better, more stuctured classes than NESBA does and am looking forward to their track dates.

Great Pics!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was at Blackhawk this past weekend (NESBA)...a lot of fun !! Still dont have the nerve to take the Sprint out yet...As for beginners sake, I think Sport Bike Track Time has better, more stuctured classes than NESBA does and am looking forward to their track dates.

Great Pics!
I agree with STT having a better program for complete newbies at the track. I was very happy with my experience with them vs. NESBA the first couple of time.

OTOH, I feel NESBA's rider ranking system is superior in some regards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know - about 120 before braking on the front straight - but I was not twisting it up all the way, there were people much faster than me in the corners on smaller bikes, so as a courtesy I was not gunning her all the way, so they could safely pass. I was in fifth gear once or twice when passing on the straight, other than that all track was done in 2nd-3rd gear in twisty parts, venturing to 4th on straights
Good form! Good on ya! I, too, like to let the fast people pass and get some track to myself to explore my limits as I learn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts